Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: AR platform

Title
    Premium Member

AR platform

How strong are the AR platform rifles? Strong enough to handle 8 grains over max listed charge, blew primer and opened up primer pocket, left one hell of a nasty burr from the ejector, my dumbass fired a second one just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, only loaded 10 rounds so I didn't have a lot to pull apart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:
    "Hey y'all! Watch this! Hold my beer!"

Title
    Thankfully you only loaded 10 lol but that’s crazy! How’d you end up 8gr over?

An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    Because of the mechanics of the AR (especially the 223/5.56 size) they have weaknesses that other actions do not have.
    Take a Ruger#1,Win92,NEF Handi Rifle . . look how they lockup . . big difference. What makes the AR able to handle some of the powerhouse chamberings that it does is the gas system. I have been told by firearm "mechanics" that if an AR was a single shot,with no gas driven bolt unlocking (dwell time) it would blow itself up. Maybe not with a 223/5.56 but with one of the higher pressure chamberings WITH quite a bit more case head thrust.
    IMO . . . 8grs over . . . you got lucky . . . this time. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Because of the mechanics of the AR (especially the 223/5.56 size) they have weaknesses that other actions do not have.
    Take a Ruger#1,Win92,NEF Handi Rifle . . look how they lockup . . big difference. What makes the AR able to handle some of the powerhouse chamberings that it does is the gas system. I have been told by firearm "mechanics" that if an AR was a single shot,with no gas driven bolt unlocking (dwell time) it would blow itself up. Maybe not with a 223/5.56 but with one of the higher pressure chamberings WITH quite a bit more case head thrust.
    IMO . . . 8grs over . . . you got lucky . . . this time. --- SAWMAN
    Thanks for the info, normally I'm more careful when reloading and double check my numbers. That's what I get for being in a hurry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

"Hey y'all! Watch this! Hold my beer!"