Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: 243 wssm

Title
    Premium Member

243 wssm

Trying to get some info in this cartridge. Pros and Cons if possible. Want something different that could compete with 6mmBr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Kbiernat; 06-22-2019 at 03:54 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Ballistically it is the same as 6mm remington. Brass isn’t as easy to come by as 243. It’s not something I would compare to the 6mm br.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I took a close look at several of the "newer and better" chamberings several months back.
    My conclusions were that the 243WSSM was the least of the bumped up vels of all the WSM/WSSM line of offerings. Feeding these short stubby rounds in a AR platform can be a little "tricky" also.
    I would pick a 243AI over the WSSM if I had a choice.
    NOW . . . the 270WSM is another story. That is the one that I picked for a bolt gun.
    Remember . . "compete with" velocity is one thing . . "compete with" accuracy is something all together different.
    Interested in what you find out and deciede to go with. Let us know please. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve known a few non-reloaders who owned both the .243WSSM and the .25WSSM. Both people loves their respective rifles and was impressed with it on paper and on game but basically retired them when the ammo dried up. I still run into ammo occasionally at some of my favorite shops, but less and less now. Always seemed like a good idea, ballistically, but the feeding issues some experiences were another thing.

Title
    Premium Member
    I consider the WSSM,WSM,some of the SAUM and RUM chamberings a "reloaders" chambering. If you don't reload you find what ammo works for you,and you buy a case of it no matter the expense.
    I own 7 of the "reloaders only" chamberings but have reloaded for them since new. This includes some AI chamberings and several big bore thumpers.
    To me . . . ammo availability should be of concern before buying the chambering. Especially when some factory ammo is $2-$3 pershot. Try buying factory ammo for a 416Rigby.
    Luckily,most of this expensive ammo is for hunting only. I have a buddy that still hunts with a 7WSM. Ammo for his gun is still fairly available. He does not reload but has plenty of ammo and he saves his brass. ---- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks guys for your input. I decided to just go with the 6mmBR.