Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title

loading for 6.8 spc ar

i just built an 6.8 spc ar and am going to start reloading for it. I have a bunch of 130 grn nosler around 350 rounds. I was wondering if any one had loaded up any for there ar and how they performed. I was told by a buddy that he would not suggest it cause you have to seat the bullet to far in the case. Also would not perform very well because of a heavy bullet in a short case.

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Does your gun have a SPC or a SPCII chamber ??
    Typically the 6.8 likes bullets <121grs. I suggest that you find loads for bullets that are 90-110grs. This is a good combo of speed vs weight.
    My 18" Bison Armory (1:11) likes the Barnes 85gr TSX at almost 3100 and the 10.5" shoots the 115gr Fed Fusion great.
    Many 6.8 owners have good luck with the Accubonds.
    In order for us to answer some of your questions you will have to tell us what the gun will be used for,distances that you will most likely be shooting,intended game animals,etc.
    Info in <---->Info out. --- SAWMAN

Last edited by SAWMAN; 06-12-2019 at 04:51 PM.
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Sawman
    Thank u for your reply. my barrel is a wilson combat 20" bull barrel spc II 1-11 twist i am planing on using it for deer maybe shooting at the most 2 to 3 hundred yards max I usually hunt western wash which in most places is at the most 200 so if i can get it driving tacks at 100 to 150 i would be really happy.

Title
    Premium Member
    There are some really good bullets of the <121gr variety that you can use for the 1:11 bbl that you have. The 85gr would be too light for your application. Barnes does make some TSX and TTSX in .277". Remember that the "no lead" style of bullets will be somewhat longer than the copper jacketed lead variety.
    I killed several hogs with the 120gr Hornady SST but I wern't pleased with them because every one of them shed its jacket.
    If you give the Barnes a try,remember NOT to seat the bullet so that is tight to the lands. Barnes reccomends a slight jump into the lands for their solid copper bullets. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntlakewood View Post
    my barrel is a wilson combat 20" bull barrel spc II 1-11 twist
    What length gas system do you have? My son has an 18” WC with rifle gas and it’s short stroking. Just wondering if you had the same issue or not.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    What length gas system do you have? My son has an 18” WC with rifle gas and it’s short stroking. Just wondering if you had the same issue or not.
    I believe it is a rifle length gas tube with a low profile gas block. I bought the one that was recommended when I was looking at the barrel. This is the first rifle style ar I built. Not sure about the short stroke. I do know I bought some rem 6.8 bullets so I can try it and keep the brass it did not cycling very well. switched to seller worked great then tried some hand loads from a friend and again functioned great. I am thinking that the rem bullets are the problem

Title
    Premium Member
    The 6.8SPCII loaded right up there is a great combo of accuracy,power,kill'ability,load'ability,etc. It falls pretty squarely between the 5.56X45 and the 7.62X51,leaning slightly towards the 7.62. The recoil is completely manageable,even by younger shooters and the ladies.
    Depending on the bullet used and range,it is even ok for elk and black bear (however most of us have other guns for that).
    My application is for NW Fla sized deer,the biggest hogs (250lbs+) and coyotes (no pelts saved). I would not hesitate to use a long bbl'ed 6.8 on the bigger northern deer.
    My 18" gun is rifle gassed also. It increases dwell time and softens the recoil inpulse. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Everyone that I know that shoot 6.8spc, use 95 to 115gr bullets for hunting. I think that the 6.8spc suffers from the same thing that the 6.5 Grendel suffers from. If you use too heavy a bullet, you lose too much velocity and in turn lose performance.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Think/remember - - -> case capacity for powder,length of neck,COAL for magazine,it is NOT a 270Win.
    Same with a 300BLK vs a 308Win. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Think/remember - - -> case capacity for powder,length of neck,COAL for magazine,it is NOT a 270Win.
    Same with a 300BLK vs a 308Win. --- SAWMAN
    Perfect analogy.

JTD