Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Deburring rifle brass

I have been trimming lots of rifle brass lately between a Lyman large style trimmer and the Lee lock stud and cutter. It seems no matter what I do, the cases get a heck of a burr on the outside of the case, easily enough to feel when you run a finger nail over it. I use a chamfer/deburring tool on all of these but it doesn’t seem to correct it unless I angle it so greatly that the cutting edge is near parallel with the case neck. I haven’t reloaded a lot of rifle rounds recently so this has me tripped up. Any insight? Do I need to correct this or does it get smoothed out a bit in the bullet seating die?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    From my experience the burr you are seeing has a direct relationship to the condition of the trimmer blades. A good sharp carbide cutter blade will usually minimize the burr left behind. That said, a good sharp chamfer tool should remove it as well. Hope this helps.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    I've trimmed cases that left an burr so aggressive that when I deburred them it would eject a thin brass ring.
    The neck (inside and out) needs to be smooth, continue deburring till it is.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    I have been trimming lots of rifle brass lately between a Lyman large style trimmer and the Lee lock stud and cutter. It seems no matter what I do, the cases get a heck of a burr on the outside of the case, easily enough to feel when you run a finger nail over it. I use a chamfer/deburring tool on all of these but it doesn’t seem to correct it unless I angle it so greatly that the cutting edge is near parallel with the case neck. I haven’t reloaded a lot of rifle rounds recently so this has me tripped up. Any insight? Do I need to correct this or does it get smoothed out a bit in the bullet seating die?

Just take the burr off inside and outside. Don't worry it being perfect.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    It just seems that if I use both the Lee and Forster chamfer/deburring tool that it puts a blade like edge on the case mouth by the time it actually removes the burr.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    It just seems that if I use both the Lee and Forster chamfer/deburring tool that it puts a blade like edge on the case mouth by the time it actually removes the burr.
    You done it right!

Title
    Premium Member
    I get exactly the same bur that you are talking about. And I have to angle the case on the deburring tool exactly the way you describe. I think what flyeralan said, a dull cutter blade, is the culprit. I’m going to try a carbide cutter and see if this helps “cut” the brass rather than “push” the brass.

Title
    Premium Member
    I agree, sounds like a dull cutter to me. Carbide isn’t sharper, then a high speed steel cutter, but it will last longer. The trade off is that it’s more brittle, so be careful not to drop it or rough handle it.

I find the deburring tools you use will make a big difference on the ease of deburring. Sinclair makes a set that I am especially fond of.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    You done it right!
    Oh good. I’m glad you said so! I thought I had read somewhere that you weren’t supposed to sharpen brass to an edge like that so I was worried I was doing it wrong.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I get exactly the same bur that you are talking about. And I have to angle the case on the deburring tool exactly the way you describe. I think what flyeralan said, a dull cutter blade, is the culprit. I’m going to try a carbide cutter and see if this helps “cut” the brass rather than “push” the brass.
    I have a carbide cutter head in my Lyman trimmer and it still created a heck of a burr.