Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member

Caliper opinions

I'm looking for recommendations on digital calipers. My inexpensive Centech is being unfaithful and lies to me. I've noticed different brands look identical in design and features but with different prices. I'm prioritizing reliability over cost. Is there a particular brand worth considering? The 8" Mitutoyo 500-197-30 have caught my eye, are orientals faithful and true?

Title
    Premium Member
    In my experience in the machining field Mitutoyo is well respected for accuracy as well as Starrett. I have always had the Mitutoyo mics and calipers and had good luck with them.

Title
    Premium Member
    Some of the Mitutoyo calipers are made in Brazil and others in Japan. Both seems to be good quality.

I bought these for general shop use:
    https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...prod37768.aspx

Title
    Premium Member
    IMO you do not really need to spend more than $29 or $39 or so for good,functional calipers that are digital. For me . . . digital was a "must have". --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Starrett been used for the time,and time tested for my lathe work

Title
    Premium Member
    Mitutoyo is the brand most often used by the machinists I have come across. Less expensive than Starrett and just as durable and accurate.

Big Eddy
    Not big and tall but big and round

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lonie View Post
    I'm looking for recommendations on digital calipers. My inexpensive Centech is being unfaithful and lies to me. I've noticed different brands look identical in design and features but with different prices. I'm prioritizing reliability over cost. Is there a particular brand worth considering? The 8" Mitutoyo 500-197-30 have caught my eye, are orientals faithful and true?

I have that Caliber. Very nice, a bit over kill for Reloading tho. I have two RCBS calibers one digital and one dial. Both have assisted me in loading thousands of rounds. Plus 8” is a little long and clunky for measuring stuff smaller then 50 BMG ;-)

All calibers can lie to you. Check them frequently with a couple different standards. You never know when someone might drop them and not tell you about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I have an old Craftsman dial caliper that does the job (the same type is sold under many names) but I wanted a second set that I could just leave my comparator attached to. I saw this on Ultimate Reloader and decided to try it on Gavin's recommendation. Under 30 bucks and lots of great reviews. So far, I have zero complaints.
    https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-Elect...35147515&psc=1

~ Kirk

Title
    Premium Member
    There ya go. <$30.00 --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I never have liked the digital calipers. A decent pair works fine but when t battery goes dead in though middle dong something and its a 30 mile round trip to where you can get batteries it is frustrating. My 40+ year old Starret dial calipers have never done that.