Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    I bought the RCBS plastic dial calipers when I first started reloading. They worked for me great for 6 years or so.
    Then I got a stainless dial caliper that I used up untill 2001. They worked fine but started getting hard to see and figure out when I started getting older.
    I have had the digital calipers for about 7 years now,and for me,are soooooo much easier. I have a set of mic check gauges that I check them with every so often. They are always right on. The "secret" to using digital calipers is use them gently and remember to turn off when not in use.
    And I keep a spare battery for them . . . always. --- SAWMAN

Last edited by SAWMAN; 06-11-2019 at 03:15 AM.
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Personally, I don't trust digitals. I use Mitutoyo 6" dial calipers for reloading. I've been using the same pair of 8" dials at work for almost twenty years.

Buy quality and it'll last.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Title
    I have a question regarding the caliper that I currently use for those that have a little more experience in using that tool. Prior to this, my experience with using a caliper was limited, so I am uncertain as to whether this is within the boundaries of acceptable. First off, the one that I have was included in a bundled kit purchased with press, dies, etc. It is a low end piece of equipment. My limited experience with reloading is primarily handgun caliber and I have recently started with 223 Rem. I have noticed a consistent variation of .003 when the cases are being measured at different points in the jaw (top, midway, bottom). Is this an acceptable variance or should I purchase a replacement? If not, do I then use the smallest measurement of the case as the "correct" length?

Thank you in advance for any insight provided.

Title
    Measure where the red line in the picture is. Measuring out at the end of the jaws can give a false reading if you use too much pressure. You need to learn the proper "touch" so to speak.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Title
    Thank you, Josh, your answer is the information sought regarding caliper use. The "touch" is in process of being learned with less than optimal equipment. My concern was if the low end calipers were defective, I believe that they're just not quality built. Almost bought an iGaging IP54, but glad that I held off for right now and put the money toward the purchase of a WFT to upgrade my trimming process instead. The new caliper is now in next month's budget.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maudib View Post
    I have a question regarding the caliper that I currently use for those that have a little more experience in using that tool. Prior to this, my experience with using a caliper was limited, so I am uncertain as to whether this is within the boundaries of acceptable. First off, the one that I have was included in a bundled kit purchased with press, dies, etc. It is a low end piece of equipment. My limited experience with reloading is primarily handgun caliber and I have recently started with 223 Rem. I have noticed a consistent variation of .003 when the cases are being measured at different points in the jaw (top, midway, bottom). Is this an acceptable variance or should I purchase a replacement? If not, do I then use the smallest measurement of the case as the "correct" length?

Thank you in advance for any insight provided.
    Another way you may get variance is if your brass isn’t centered in the caliper, and putting it in, in different orientations. If the mouth of your brass isn’t square, one side higher than the other.

JTD

Title
    Both points you make, JTD, are ones that I have noticed. That's the main reason why an upgrade to the trimming equipment is happening now. Eliminate potential issues with superior components. When I purchased the Lee kit, I knew some of the pieces that were included ranked as "starter" tools and would need upgraded eventually. A lot of learning has happened over the past 3 months, with a whole bunch more in the future.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, gentlemen.

Title
    Premium Member
    Former machinist, my first purchase was a digital Mitutoyo and they are still going strong 20 years on.

Title
    Yeah, Mitutoyo seems to be the preferred brand on the forum. Those will have to wait for the next budget cycle (or 2). There are plenty of 9mm components that can keep me busy until then, fortunately.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have a set of dial Mitutoyo and a RCBS dial as well. There's nuthin wrong with dial calipers. Hell, my pops still uses his old vernier calipers. I think it's more important to know the limitations of that particular instrument and realize when you need to step up to a micrometer.