Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Title
    The Grizzly 1-2-3 blocks arrived today, thanks to RustE for the helpful link! Never heard back from the inquiry sent to WEN. After letting the blocks warm up to room temps, I found that the Mitutoyo dial caliper was spot on at all 3 lengths, splitting the 0 in half with no shading either way. The cheap digital, not so much, especially at the 2 & 3" length measurements. In addition, I measured 3 completed calibers, 40, 357 Sig & 223. There was a .0015 differential on the pistol case OAL, but still had a .005 difference with the 223. I trust the Mitutoyo based on what the results showed today. Hoping that the extra batteries bought for the digital calipers can be used in other devices.

The other news to share is that I am a Sage's Reloading customer as of today. Finally able to complete the check-out process before the stock sold out!

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks for posting this. This is a very informative thread.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maudib View Post
    The Grizzly 1-2-3 blocks arrived today, thanks to RustE for the helpful link! Never heard back from the inquiry sent to WEN. After letting the blocks warm up to room temps, I found that the Mitutoyo dial caliper was spot on at all 3 lengths, splitting the 0 in half with no shading either way. The cheap digital, not so much, especially at the 2 & 3" length measurements. In addition, I measured 3 completed calibers, 40, 357 Sig & 223. There was a .0015 differential on the pistol case OAL, but still had a .005 difference with the 223. I trust the Mitutoyo based on what the results showed today. Hoping that the extra batteries bought for the digital calipers can be used in other devices.

The other news to share is that I am a Sage's Reloading customer as of today. Finally able to complete the check-out process before the stock sold out!
    Another use for those 1-2-3 blocks (I made mine as a Machine Tool Tech student 20 years ago)-when mounting a scope I use my blocks to set up a barreled action on a level surface then true my vertical crosshair to a distant plumb line there by insuring that my vertical crosshair is perpendicular to the axis of the bore of the rifle. Always trusted this method more than all the gadgets on the market. At least with this method the vertical is set in some relationship to a machined surface on the action rather than some hypothetical relation to the stock or the erector caps which may or may not be flat or even in any true relationship to the crosshair.

Title
    Appreciate that tip, Mauser. Hadn't considered the blocks for that purpose, but it makes a lot of sense.