Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Caliper opinions

Quote Originally Posted by maudib View Post
    My concern was if the low end calipers were defective, I believe that they're just not quality built.
    This is a scenario where having a few gauge blocks or 1-2-3 blocks comes in handy.

With the resolution of most dial and digital calipers being +/- 0.001 inch, a 1-2-3 block ground within +/- 0.0002 inch is a adequate check.

Example:
    https://www.amazon.com/Taytools--Har.../dp/B081D9CYPJ

Title
    Purchased a used Mitutoyo dial model yesterday for $45. Going to crank out a few 223 rounds today and use both the new-to-me dial and the existing digital on them for comparison.

Title
    Premium Member
    Let us know how the comparison goes. I’m always curious about stuff like this.

JTD

Title
    Case gauge time.

Spent a few minutes re-measuring a sample of the 9mm I made last week with both calipers. There was a consistent .005 difference in digital vs the dial, with the dial measuring shorter than the digital. The dial was bought from Craigslist, I asked when it was last calibrated. The short answer I received was, "a month or so ago by the shop's weights and measures guy". Good news is that the there was exact consistency in the readings, which I went through and did twice for 5 different cartridges.

Bad news is that I don't currently own a gauge block so that is next on the list to pick up as soon as possible. If anyone has a reason that I should look for something more that what I found at the Home Depot site, please let me know.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-3-in...0423/308391064

Last edited by maudib; 01-17-2021 at 04:54 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    I need to get some of those

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maudib View Post
    If anyone has a reason that I should look for something more that what I found at the Home Depot site, please let me know.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-3-in...0423/308391064
    My, um, critique of this idea: there is no statement about the accuracy of the block. Maybe this information is somewhere, just wasn’t obvious to me on the Home Depot website or the WEN website. You’re looking for something that is ground to less than 0.0005 inch and preferably closer to 0.0002 inch or better.

If you’re into woodworking, then the Veritas set-up blocks with 1-2-3 block sold by Lee Valley are worth a look. Although, sadly, out of stock at the time of this post.

Title
    RustE-

That was the exact information I was hoping that someone on the forum could answer as I could not find it either, including multiple searches for it in alternative sources than the 2 sites you looked at as well. The only function that I'll be using calipers for is reloading. There is a branch of MSC local to me, so I could pick up a 1" Mitutoyo block for $35-ish. If the Wen 123 blocks are going to be within the tolerance of the digital caliper (+|- .0005), I would opt for them due to cost as I am not yet into a level of precision that would really justify the additional cost. Going to send an email to Wen to see if they can tell me what those 123 blocks tolerances are held to by QC during the manufacturing process.

Last edited by maudib; 01-18-2021 at 02:54 AM.

Title
    Premium Member

Title
    Appreciate the options, RustE. Waiting on a return email from WEN as to the accuracy of their blocks before I make any decisions.