Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Almost made the ultimate reloading mistake!

So almost pushed it to the point of catastrophic failure. I have owned a 300 blackout with 16in barrel with 1 & 8 twist for a while now. I worked up a load using nosler 125gr BT that worked awesome but was toward max book. .4 grains from it. Worked great no signs of pressure. Recently I picked up a new 300blk pistol build with 1&7 twist. Had some hornady 125gr sst laying around so I decided to use them to break in the new pistol. Had a brain fart and figured I would just use the same load data as I do for my rifle and the noslers. That was a rookie mistake and I know better. About every 10th round would have a primer blowout. Being as hard headed as I am, I assumed it must be the gun and so I got out the chrono to see what velocity I was getting. Needless to say I was getting higher velocity from my pistol then I was from my rifle. NOT GOOD. Went home and spent the evening trying to wrap my head around it. Re-read about pressures and all the variables that go with it and re-taught myself the importance of working up a load for each gun I own, and not just assuming that if it works in one it will work for all. I have never ran into this issue before with any of the other same caliber guns I own, but lesson learned. Just lucky it wasn't much worse. I put this here for a reminder for everyone as well has to hear any of your similar stories. It's an awesome hobby we have but sometimes a little reminder that we are playing with miniature bombs is needed.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk