Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Title
    Nice!! Glad you figured it out! Looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrochad View Post
    Ah ha I figured it out, here are some pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    Nice hogs. I'm going to be building a 458 socom soon for hog hunting.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    This is what you could possibly have to shoot thru.
    "Shield" on a big boar hog. You don't need to think heavier. Just think bullet construction.
    shooting a 223/5.56 AR with a 7 or 8 rwist bbl,my buddy has killed BIG hogs using both the 62 and 70gr Barnes TSX.
    He puts'em on the shoulder at <100yds. Gets some exit wounds of both bullet and bone fragments.
    To me,a great hog gun would be a 22-250Rem with a 9 or 10 twist long(er) bbl. I have a 28" 22-250 but it has a 12 twist and I am pretty much limited to the 53gr TSX-FB in the solid copper design.
    Another option would be the Hornady line of GMX. They are somewhat harder than the Barnes but unsure of the exact bullet makeup and have no expierance with them. --- SAWMAN :

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SAWMAN; 05-30-2019 at 02:57 AM.
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    This is what you could possibly have to shoot thru.
    "Shield" on a big boar hog. You don't need to think heavier. Just think bullet construction.
    shooting a 223/5.56 AR with a 7 or 8 rwist bbl,my buddy has killed BIG hogs using both the 62 and 70gr Barnes TSX.
    He puts'em on the shoulder at <100yds. Gets some exit wounds of both bullet and bone fragments.
    To me,a great hog gun would be a 22-250Rem with a 9 or 10 twist long(er) bbl. I have a 28" 22-250 but it has a 12 twist and I am pretty much limited to the 53gr TSX-FB in the solid copper design.
    Another option would be the Hornady line of GMX. They are somewhat harder than the Barnes but unsure of the exact bullet makeup and have no expierance with them. --- SAWMAN :
    At this particular ranch they don’t allow 223, but I believe those would work great I think the 130 Barnes is the way I’m gonna head and try them out I have experience with the Barnes 168 TSX on deer and I was not impressed but I now know that I need the lighter bullet and I need to push it faster

Title
    Premium Member
    Go to the Barnes Technical Load Data site. Look at the two different .308" 130gr bullets offered. If you will not be shooting >300yds,do not worry about B.C.
    Look at the speeds. I would reccomend keeping the vels at adout 3000-3050fps. (Remember your bbl length.) You want the 4 pedals to open but NOT break off.
    My choice would be the TSX over the TTSX (poly tipped). --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Go to the Barnes Technical Load Data site. Look at the two different .308" 130gr bullets offered. If you will not be shooting >300yds,do not worry about B.C.
    Look at the speeds. I would reccomend keeping the vels at adout 3000-3050fps. (Remember your bbl length.) You want the 4 pedals to open but NOT break off.
    My choice would be the TSX over the TTSX (poly tipped). --- SAWMAN
    Good info right there I will keep that in mind, my shots will definitely be under 300

Title
    Premium Member
    This is what you want those Barnes TSX or TTSX to look like. Fully open,petals attached.
    We recovered this 30cal TSX just under the far side skin of a 225lb boar hog shot at 85yds or so. ---- SAWMAN

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SAWMAN; 05-30-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    XM177E2

Title
    This is what you want those Barnes TSX or TTSX to look like. Fully open,petals attached.
    We recovered this 30cal TSX just under the far side skin of a 225lb boar hog shot at 85yds or so. ---- SAWMAN
    Yup that looks like it performed perfect, I’m excited to get some and try them out, thanks for the path to take. You said the TSX is a bit better is that the polymer tip or the HP?

Title
    Premium Member
    The TSX has a small HP cavity. It is about 1/8" deep and super small. They feed great from AR mags as does the TTSX (tipped).
    I have also killed numerious hogs with the Barnes 85gr TSX in .277" cal. (6.8SPCII/AR) Out of my 18" Bison they are just under 3100fps. --- SAWMAN

Last edited by SAWMAN; 05-31-2019 at 02:58 AM.
    XM177E2