Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: TAC-TX or Vmax

Title
    Premium Member

TAC-TX or Vmax

I’ll be working up a hunting load for my 300bo. These will both be in the 110 gr. Has anyone launched either one into deer size game? How where the results? I’m in ND where our bucks are 200+ lbs if that helps at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    I have read and heard of good results from the 110 vmax. I personally use the 110 tac tx. I’ve killed several deer (100lb - 150lb) and hogs ( up to 200lbs) with it. Those were all out of a 16” bolt action. My friends have used the 110 tac tx out of 7” 8” 10” and 16” ARs, and the results were just as impressive.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Question . . . What does the "V" in VMAX stand for ?? Is it a thin skinned varmint bullet ??
    The Barnes TAC-TX 30231's are especially designed for the 300BLK and it's slow vels.
    I have multiple one shot kills on hogs that weigh >250lbs with this bullet from my 16" bolt gun and single shot.
    Put it on bone going in . . . preferably the shoulder. Move it fast. 2370fps for me. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    You are right SAWMAN the Vmax does have a thin jacket. I wasn’t sure if the slower velocities of the BO would slow their expansion or explosion down. Do the tac expand? Have you ever recovered one?

Title
    Premium Member
    Here are two pics.
    The shiny one was recovered from the far side of a 180lb bore hog after penetrating the near side shoulder plate,exploding the heart,jelling the lungs,and lodging just under the skin on the far side of the hog. It retained it's petals and opened perfectly.
    The dark colored bullet entered in the neck of a 210lb boar hog. It went thru the back of the skull and was found lodged in the off side sinus cavity. The head stayed in an ant bed for several months,then was cleaned and further whitened in a bucket of water and bleach. It opened perfectly also.
    I have tried to drive these bullets at 2750 to 2850 out of a 308Win and the petals break off.
    Barnes sez that they will open "optimally" down to 1300fps which will give you a range of 300yds+. ---- SAWMAN
    ADDED: This site will not allow me to upload the pic of the shiny bullet.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SAWMAN; 05-23-2019 at 03:45 PM.
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Here are two pics.
    The shiny one was recovered from the far side of a 180lb bore hog after penetrating the near side shoulder plate,exploding the heart,jelling the lungs,and lodging just under the skin on the far side of the hog. It retained it's petals and opened perfectly.
    The dark colored bullet entered in the neck of a 210lb boar hog. It went thru the back of the skull and was found lodged in the off side sinus cavity. The head stayed in an ant bed for several months,then was cleaned and further whitened in a bucket of water and bleach. It opened perfectly also.
    I have tried to drive these bullets at 2750 to 2850 out of a 308Win and the petals break off.
    Barnes sez that they will open "optimally" down to 1300fps which will give you a range of 300yds+. ---- SAWMAN
    Great information. Thank you

Title
    Premium Member
    We also use pull down Barnes 130gr TAC-TX bullets that came from Remington Hog Hammer loads.
    We got these super cheap about a year ago. ---- SAWMAN
    ADDED: The black poly tip can be easily removed exposing the hollow point cavity.
    I have never tried the bullets this way on game. The 130 is on the right.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SAWMAN; 05-24-2019 at 02:36 AM.
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve never recovered one of the tac tx bullets.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    The only heavier option for me would be the 125gr NosBalTip.
    I have a friend that has killed both hogs and deer with these and he likes them.
    Depending on which bullet his multiple 300's like,he stil prefers the Barnes.
    Barnes also makes a 120gr TAC-TX. Personally,I love this design and the flat base is your friend when it comes to powder capacity. I have never tried the 120's. ---- SAWMAN

XM177E2