Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: 6.5-06

Title
    Premium Member

6.5-06

I know nothing about the round, but I snagged one on the cheap yesterday. Can you guys shed some light my way?

Title
    Premium Member
    It’s a great long range round based on the 30-06. It should shine with 140gr bullets. Is it a hunting rifle, or match style rifle? Got any pics?

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Pretty much in between the 25-06 and the 270Rem. Possibly a better bullet selection. Would not be faster than the 25-06 or able to shoot a bullet as heavy as the 270Win.
    If you can live with that,give the .500+ B.C. bullets a try.
    Let us know how she does please. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    It’s a great long range round based on the 30-06. It should shine with 140gr bullets. Is it a hunting rifle, or match style rifle? Got any pics?

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Your barrel twist will dictate your bullet weight. If the barrel is not burnt out, that should be an outstanding 1000yd+ Rifle.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Pretty sure to 1/8 twist. Don’t know the round count and don’t really care. I only gave $400 for the gun like it sets

Title
    Premium Member
    That’s a smoking deal!

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Looks to have a "full bull" (1.00"+) bbl.
    Wondering who makes the stock. Most likely specially designed to be cradled on 3 sides by a front rest. Some people make them (the rest support) out of scraps of Corian and spray with silicone so that it will slide freely with recoil then return to exactly the same place.
    Hopefully the twist is at least 8. I would prefer 7. Kinda funny how as the bullets of several calibers got bigger and bigger,the twist rates from some manufacturers got faster and faster. They basically had to.
    Some of the .308" bore shooters do not like a 1:10 bbl anymore. They want 8 or 9.
    Ed Brown makes a 1:8,308Win bbl for a T/C Encore that I have been itching to buy. In 26 or 28 inches it should shoot with the 6.5's.
    Got a buddy with a 300Win Mag and a 26" 1:8 twist bbl that shoots the 1000yd matches. This combo does extremely well. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Looks to have a "full bull" (1.00"+) bbl.
    Wondering who makes the stock. Most likely specially designed to be cradled on 3 sides by a front rest. Some people make them (the rest support) out of scraps of Corian and spray with silicone so that it will slide freely with recoil then return to exactly the same place.
    Hopefully the twist is at least 8. I would prefer 7. Kinda funny how as the bullets of several calibers got bigger and bigger,the twist rates from some manufacturers got faster and faster. They basically had to.
    Some of the .308" bore shooters do not like a 1:10 bbl anymore. They want 8 or 9.
    Ed Brown makes a 1:8,308Win bbl for a T/C Encore that I have been itching to buy. In 26 or 28 inches it should shoot with the 6.5's.
    Got a buddy with a 300Win Mag and a 26" 1:8 twist bbl that shoots the 1000yd matches. This combo does extremely well. --- SAWMAN
    It’s a McMillan stock. Yes it’s a full bull 1 3/8”. Action is a Trued 700 LA. I will prolly play with it like it is for a while to see how it does. Down the road it may end up being a 6mm whatever since it is setup for benchrest match style shooting anyways. Oh yeah and it has about a 2oz trigger

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve got a very similar rifle. Trued remington 700 la. McMillan mbr stock, jewel trigger, Lilja barrel. Mine is chambered in 240wby, but the barrel is shot out. I haven’t decided what caliber I’m going to do next. The barrel on mine is a 10” twist so I was limited to lighter bullets, but I did lay waste on a mess of prairie dogs with 55gr 70gr and 80gr ballistic tips, in its prime. Definitely keep us posted with your results from it. Reloader 22 and H4831 should be some good choices with 140ish gr bullets.

JTD