Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

What causes this?

Lee’s bullet seater dies. I’ve had this issue in the past too but thought I got past it. Happens with FL sized brass as well as Lee collet-sized brass. Go to seat the bullet and they are loose or like this one, falls in the case. Last night I loaded 50 rounds of .30-06 with H414 and 165gr Speer Spitzers. All but this one round was tight. With my experience in the past, I’ve began to test the bullet once seated, and if it slides in the case or twist it’s obviously bad. 49 were good and tight, 1 was not. I have re-set up my dies before, I have cleaned them out, I have used once fired and brass that has been resized multiple time. What gives? Any insight? I’m about ready to toss all my Lee dies as every caliber I’ve loaded with them seems to have issues of some sort or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    neck tension i would say more than likely

Title
    Premium Member
    Sure, I think you’re right, but why does one fail out of fifty?? All steps were done the same to all.

Title
    Premium Member
    Are all brass the same headstamp? Are you able to measure neck wall thickness? It seems to me that the case with no neck tension may have considerably thinner neck walls if all of the prep was the same.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Yeah. All Winchester brass once-fired. I never measured neck thickness.

Title
    Premium Member
    I normally don’t measure it either. But after seeing this it would make me want to on these, just to see.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Never had an issue with Lee full length but collet dies can bind and not work correctly if not cleaned and lubed . Since 1 out of 50 was the only failure I would suspect a problem with the case, not the dies.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog View Post
    Never had an issue with Lee full length but collet dies can bind and not work correctly if not cleaned and lubed . Since 1 out of 50 was the only failure I would suspect a problem with the case, not the dies.
    I suspect it was too. I pulled the components and ran it through an old Herter’s FL die. Lubed the same as I do with sizing wax and that case is now miserably stuck. Got an extra piece of brass and ran it through the Lee set with no problems to round out my 50rd batch.

Title
    Premium Member
    I`ve had that happen once in a rare while, all I did was resize the case and all turned out fine.