Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Best stopping power

Not exactly reloading related but Im going on a fishing trip the end of the month here in Idaho. I have a choice between 3 guns that i reload for. The first in 10mm is a glock 20 pros are number of rounds in mag and speed to reload, the second is a Ruger new style Blackhawk in 45LC 300gr rnfp bullet,third is taurus 44 mag compensated with 250gr hollow point. Is there a formua for calculating energy from each gun. I know this is a rather broad request.

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Basic science. Energy equals Mass times Velocity Squared. Most reloading manuals have charts in the glossary section.

Big Eddy
    Not big and tall but big and round

Title
    Premium Member
    The Glock has the potential to unleash a tremendous amount of energy. I shoot the 200gr WFNGC for deer and hog. Carry it in a chest rig.
    A 200gr X 16 ='s 12,000fpe. Nothing else even comes close (that is reasonable to carry). --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Thank you I was leaning towards that simply for the sheer numbers and i have a chest rig for it also. thanks for the input

Title
    Premium Member
    thank you for the info

Title
    Premium Member
    Just looked at the Double Tap site. The 200gr WFNGC is not offered anymore. SAD !! The best that they ever offered.
    Then . . . any heavy Hornady XTP load. Or another WFNGC hardcast load. 180-200gr bullet will produce the most energy transfer. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I see you are from IF. I was born in American Falls, grew up in Aberdeen and POKY and then after the Military moved to IF where I flew the Helicopter at EIRMC for 18 years. Fished the South Fork every week and then many times in Island Park and then mountain streams all over. Where are you going that you think you need firepower? In all my years (1949 and up) I never had a problem with bears or any other animal for all that goes. I hunted the "Frank Church" area before it was the "Frank Church," as well as the rift near Aberdeen many times as a kid and never a problem.

Nul Bastardo Carborundum. 48th Assault Helicopter Company (Dong Ha) UH-1C gunships, I corps Vietnam (JOKERS)

Title
    Premium Member
    Hi thanks, We are going up to island park i have never had any problem either but my wife and grandkids are going and wife is afraid of bears in the area and asked me to please pack. The glock in a chest holster was my first choice. I remember as a young lad hunting with my dad up in the cellway we saw deer and moose and heard elk but could never see any. Funny story from that trip we had one other guy with us and his wife had made a big pot of chili that we had the first night, and i swear that i heard something moving outside our tent sniffing around then running away trying to get away from the smell..lol Probably a figment of my imagination but brings a chuckle to me every time i think of it.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Just looked at the Double Tap site. The 200gr WFNGC is not offered anymore. SAD !! The best that they ever offered.
    Then . . . any heavy Hornady XTP load. Or another WFNGC hardcast load. 180-200gr bullet will produce the most energy transfer. --- SAWMAN
    Maybe a 180gr Speer gold dot? I don’t have any experience with hunting, but I have read they work well on 2 legged animals.

Title
    Premium Member
    Just NOT the DT 230gr hardcast. They are going too slow for a good energy dump.
    Does Hornady offer a 200gr XTP ?? That would be a good choice. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2