Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

70 moa optic / 30 MOA rail- 20 MOA rings question

I have the Viper PST 5-25x50 with 70 MOA adjustment. I know This means 35 up/35 down. The gun is a Ruger Precision in 300 win mag, and comes standard with a 30 MOA rail. I have a 20 MOA 1 piece mount for the scope, but I am thinking this may cause me to bottom out before getting to a 100 yard zero.

35 MOA - 30 moa rail - 20 moa rings = -15 moa. Is it just that simple...Too much MOA?

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    You are gonna be using this gun out to 1000yds right ??
    IMO with the 35 ups + the 30MOA rail,you should be fine without the 20MOA mount/rings at 100 and 1000.
    CAUTION: I surely could be missing something. I'm gettin' old. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    My goal is a mile but i going to start smaller of course. To date the longest shot I’ve been able to shoot is 300 but I’ve got access to the desert in Nevada, so, why not use it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I shot 1000yds in Maine using a 8.5-25X50 Leupold and a 20MOA base on top of a .30-378Wby Mag. It would launch a 220SMK at >3200fps.
    1760 is another story alltogether. Has it been done ?? YES. Can you do it with a 300 with a 10 twist ?? YES
    But just guessing . . . your gonna want more gun and/or a faster twist bbl.
    A 40X scope would be great also. --- SAWMAN

Last edited by SAWMAN; 05-06-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Chances are you will be shooting high at 100yds, with your scope bottomed out, with that combination. The only way to know for sure is to try it out. Another factor that goes into the equation, is how far the scope is mounted above the bore.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    If I am not mistaken,those RPR's are like a AR in that they have NO drop at the comb. That would mandate that the scope be set pretty high above the upper for proper eye placement and cheek weld.
    Guessing . . . A 30mm scope and 1.25" high rings (one piece or two) would work.
    When I jumped into the 1000yd stuff,I did it quick,and all the way. I shelled out some serious dough. It's the little,forgotten things,that total up to big money.
    I do not know your level of shooting expertise. Given that,I suggest that you start out at 600yds. A simple white paper plate will be the "tell" as to how much farther you should go. Vary your target with your range. You should be able to shoot MOA,quite easily at 600yds. Out past that you gotta worry about,and adjust for environmental stuff other than simple wind.
    You gotta put a ton of study time into the long range (600+) stuff. Anybody can hit a barn door at 1000yds but how far out can you consistently put rds into that white pie plate ?? --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: And to Jeff's point above . . . measure EXACTLY to center of objective.

Last edited by SAWMAN; 05-07-2019 at 04:23 AM.
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Thank you! Everyone for the replies. Just some calculating i did shows i have more MOA built in than my optic can adjust for, assuming a 100 yard zero. May have to rethink my rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk