Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Shotshell newbie question (12gauge)

Am I correct in guessing that there are basically 2 different types of hulls, tapered and straight base wads? So would load data for one tapered hull work for another tapered hull of a different brand, and the same for straight base wads of different brands?

Basically I have a good amount of Winchester universal, newer AA, and Remington gun club, all of which have tapered base wads. Could I use the same load data for all of them?

I also have a boatload of federal bulk hulls, which are short base wad, and I can’t find data for this specific hull. Does it interchange with something like a gold medal for load data?

Also, does the height of the brass really make any difference for the load? For example, can I load something like buckshot in a low brass hull?

Thanks for any input.

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    I would recommend that you get a copy of Lyman’s Shotshell Handbook. It has detailed pictures of the inside of each brand and the differences between them.
    Some have one piece plastic and some have two piece plastic and others have paper base wads. Both Winchester and Federal make three different types of 2 3/4 inch cases each.
    I strongly recommend that you do not use them interchangeably.

Big Eddy
    Not big and tall but big and round

Title
    Premium Member
    The Winchester AA and Remington STS and Nitro 27 can use basically the same wad and load. The Winchester universal has a paper basewad that can come loose after reloading that would then probably lodge in your barrel. After that your shotgun bulges or worse comes apart. The same applies to all the value shells you would get at say Walmart. Of you are looking for hulls theres a place called pap charlies that usually has them. Been awhile sense I've done them. The Lyman shotshell manual has tons of good info and cutaway drawings in it. It's a good one to have on hand.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Two replies from fellow Ohioans, awesome. I’m just north of Dayton, myself.

I was mainly looking to reload so that I could make up some buckshot for less than a dollar a round. It’s just not economical to load up my own trap shells, so maybe I’ll just keep the press off to the side for now and focus on casting bullets instead.

I’ll probably still pick up the Lyman manual. A while back I picked up the dedicated 12ga manual that has various companies load data, but it’s just an information overload with no explanations.

Thanks for your replies.

Title
    Premium Member
    The brass height makes no difference, the hull construction is key. I’ve been loading heavy #4 buck loads in AA hulls for years.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Just over in C-bus here. Maybe dig into it a bit deeper. I've not done any heavy loads. Just trap. I still have the RCBS mini grand. It's just hanging out on the other bench.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    What Jeff sez in his post #5. I have been loading a super heavy crow load for some time now using once fired "AA" hulls. In it goes a healthy dose of 540 and 1.5ozs of #8 shot.
    I had so many (free) hulls that I did not bother to load them twice. Still have about 800.
    I have a buddy that I gave about 1000 hulls to some years ago that still loades them for ducks and geese in Maine. HEAVY LOADS !! --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    While you do not have to load buck shot in high brass hulls I usually do, just so I could tell which was which by feel. Fall turkey and deer season overlap in Florida so if a turkey came while deer hunting I could slip the buck shot load out and slip a #6 in without looking down. Same in reverse during spring turkey if a pig came out.

Last edited by Wolfdog; 05-05-2019 at 02:55 AM.