Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

What .223 brass to scrap/toss?

I know the question of which is favorite brass gets asked often around the various online boards, but what brands do you see and instantly toss? I'm a brass rat that is always picking up once fired at the range, and it has got to be overwhelming with all the various brands out there. I'm currently looking to simplify the brands of the common brass like .223 to one or two brands that I'll used and sell the rest. So what brass brands would you toss in the scrap bin and not even bother cleaning up to sell? I have tried reloading GFL or Fiocchi brass and got upset with the very off-centered flash holes. Now I'm finding a bunch of Perfecta which I believe is Walmart, a GA ** 18 headstamp, Frontier, IMI, and some with just numbers and no letters. So what are your thoughts?

Title
    Premium Member
    Frontier and perfecta are the main ones I toss. I've had bad experiences with frontier factory ammo blowing primers. Mostly everything else gets saved and separated, with lake city and federal brass being my main keepers

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I have about 10K LC. Anything I pickup other than those I give away or scrap.

Big Eddy
    Not big and tall but big and round

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks for your response SGT Greybeard! I was hoping with all the Frontier brass I've accumulated recently that I had stumbled upon a gold mine! But figured it was too good to be true. It's odd to me, though as doesn't Hornady manufacture Frontier? I would think it would be better brass than to be compared with Perfecta.

As far as the Federal and Lake City, those were the main two brands that I am planning on hoarding too!

Title
    Premium Member
    Big Eddy, it seems like LC is the one brand that literally everyone keeps! It's good stuff as far as I've seen.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    Thanks for your response SGT Greybeard! I was hoping with all the Frontier brass I've accumulated recently that I had stumbled upon a gold mine! But figured it was too good to be true. It's odd to me, though as doesn't Hornady manufacture Frontier? I would think it would be better brass than to be compared with Perfecta.

As far as the Federal and Lake City, those were the main two brands that I am planning on hoarding too!
    Hornady does make frontier. Load some and see how it does for you. Your results may be completely different than mine.

Lake City brass is the biggest that everyone hoards.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    For 223Rem my favorite brass is TW73. Back in the early 90's one of my Precission Shooter mags ran an article about the quality of different military 5.56X45 NATO brass. I cannot remember what their criteria for passing judgement was,but TW73 came in lower than whale sheet.
    I run mine thruogh a 223Rem die and a RCBS swedger and have gotten 8-10 loadings out of some of them.
    Their precentage of split necks and loose primer pockets is no more than Rem,Win,or Fed brass.
    So basically I say . . . use what works best for you. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Anybody see anything good about any of these? I know about perfecta, but not sure about the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    I have issues with frontier brass. Loose primer pockets are the biggest complaint but when I’m shooting range brass it’s plinking ammo anyway so the flashholes don’t bother me. So far I’ve had good luck with GFL brass. Nice and tight primer pockets and they seem to be most of what I’ve seen in my range brass. I don’t toss any of it until I find major defects or they’ve run their course. I use LC for load development anyway.

An armed society is a polite society