Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Rifle target shooting question

Question on rifle target shooting. If I get a three shot group (first three) this good (.315) and two flyers would you say it's the shooter? See attached image. FYI AR-15 16" 223 wylde barrel 1:8 twist. BA Hanson using a bipod at 100 yards. Thanks for the help.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Premium Member
    Without knowing you or your rifle, my first guess would be the rifle. I’ve got a 308 ar doing the same thing, and I just witches the scope mount, hoping that was the problem.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    "A shooter" and for braggin' rights are two different things. To me for bragging rights it is a 5 shot group at 100yds. I have shot many groups of 3 shots just to do preliminary load work-up. If the group shows potential it is recorded for further expiermentation.
    A real "tell" for me is how did the shot feel. For me,keeping my head down (follow through) and anticipating recoil are my groups biggest killers. I have shot plenty of 5 shot groups that 3 or 4 shots are into <.250" then the others open the group to MOA or bigger. Some . . . MUCH bigger. That is usually me.
    IMO,if a shooter puts three in a tight group,that is neither coincidence OR luck. He did something extremely RIGHT for those shots.
    However that is arguable/debateable. Five shots in a tight group or evenly spaced out,a half inch apart to bring the group to 3 or 4 inches at 100 . . OR . . <.500" at 100 is either something very wrong with gun,optics,and/or shooter . . OR . . something very right with same.
    A shooters "follow through" is a problem that alot of shooters have, and they or their shooting buddy, that should be watching them,is not even awhare that they have.
    After the shot breaks I keep the tight cheek weld and looking through the scope/sight for 2 seconds. This is something that you have got to train for. It is not natural.
    Give it a try. IT WILL improve your groups. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    For me most times it’s four good and tight and one flyer. I’d like to blame a vold barrel between groups but I’m sure it’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I meant to say cold barrel. Btw thanks for the extra insight Sawman.

Title
    Can't say for sure that it's the shooter, but it sure isn't the rifle or the ammo. The barrel warming after three shots can open up a group some, but 1in. to 1.5in. is an MOA+ spread from the first three.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbert View Post
    For me most times it’s four good and tight and one flyer. I’d like to blame a vold barrel between groups but I’m sure it’s just me.

How long between shots should I wait?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Usually a sure sign of a bbl heating up will be VERTICAL stringing. This,depending on which other parts of the gun (forearm,etc) are touching the bbl and how hard (screwed to,clamped to,etc,etc).
    When shooting some of my precission guns,I actually take a small fan to the range with me. It is blowing on the bbl during the entire shooting session.
    For cooling and for bbl harmonics is the reasons that target guns,and the better hunting guns have a floated bbl. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    "A shooter" and for braggin' rights are two different things. To me for bragging rights it is a 5 shot group at 100yds. I have shot many groups of 3 shots just to do preliminary load work-up. If the group shows potential it is recorded for further expiermentation.
    A real "tell" for me is how did the shot feel. For me,keeping my head down (follow through) and anticipating recoil are my groups biggest killers. I have shot plenty of 5 shot groups that 3 or 4 shots are into <.250" then the others open the group to MOA or bigger. Some . . . MUCH bigger. That is usually me.
    IMO,if a shooter puts three in a tight group,that is neither coincidence OR luck. He did something extremely RIGHT for those shots.
    However that is arguable/debateable. Five shots in a tight group or evenly spaced out,a half inch apart to bring the group to 3 or 4 inches at 100 . . OR . . <.500" at 100 is either something very wrong with gun,optics,and/or shooter . . OR . . something very right with same.
    A shooters "follow through" is a problem that alot of shooters have, and they or their shooting buddy, that should be watching them,is not even awhare that they have.
    After the shot breaks I keep the tight cheek weld and looking through the scope/sight for 2 seconds. This is something that you have got to train for. It is not natural.
    Give it a try. IT WILL improve your groups. --- SAWMAN
    I'll have to give it a whirl on staying on the shot for 2 seconds. Had a 4 shot group at 5/8" at 200yds and then a flyer that opened it to 1.5". I've had this happen a few times.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns4545 View Post
    How long between shots should I wait?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    I can’t really give you good advice on that, I’m self taught and don’t know nothing about nothing. I just really get therapy when I spend time unloading.
    I usually take several different calibers out with different loads. I’ll shoot a group and put that one in the shade to rest while I shoot another group with the next gun and so forth. Not a specific time between shots but about ten to fifteen between groups. I have good days and bad days but I always set out a few water jugs and clay pigeons so I get hat satisfaction at the end of the session. Happy shooting.