Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: New to shotgun

Title

New to shotgun

Hey all new to shotgun loading, got rifle and pistol down, anywho are there any powders anyone could recommend? What kind of containers do you use to store your complete shells? And lastly is there any must have gear I should look into?

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    I always used blue dot powder and i just put my completed rounds in a metal box and got out what I needed when i went to shoot. I got out of it several years ago though. I can buy them cheaper than i could load them and now I don't shoot a shotgun much anymore. I am thinking of getting a reloader for .410 though. Those boogers get expensive when you buy 3".

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I had good results with Alliant E3 powder. I just tossed them in a cardboard box till it got full. Then started a fresh box. Right now I can buy 12ga cheaper than loading them. Still have the press just in case. Might get one for 410 now that I have a Taurus judge. Eh, maybe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Several good powders for basic trap and skeet. I am currently using the last of my E3 and it has been good, used Red Dot, Clays and another I don't remember and they are good 1 oz loads for 12ga. Check recipes and match powder with what you are loading. My brother uses Green Dot for some longer distance shooting of shotgun games.

But, if lucky enough to find some inexpensive reclaimed lead it is usually best to stay close or under 1200fps as if you push it your pattern really can go bad. Good price, or used to be, was 1.00/lb. I haven't seen any in a long time and only have enough for about 1600 more and I'm out.

Powder is sometimes easier to find than the lead for a good price. Primers, my brother shoots a lot, and I mean a lot, and he uses Cheddite or whatever is the bargain. You also need to match up your primers with the right hulls as there are American and European and one primer is a hair bigger than the other. Been so long I'd have to look up which primer is which.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell