Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Over gassed AR

Title
    Premium Member
    Are you over crimping? Too much crimp can cause over pressure.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion Rider View Post
    Are you over crimping? Too much crimp can cause over pressure.
    I am crimping. But just a light crimp.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I thought the primers looked fine too. I've seen some flattened primers and it was way more than those.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks guys. I think I’ll look into an adjustable gas block.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I have adjustable gas on everything. AR's chambered in: 308Win . . 223Rem . . 5.56X45 . . 300BLK . . 6.8SPC . . 6.8SPCII.
    If you add adjustable gas,make sure that you can get to the adjustment easily also. Some of the darn things expect you to remove the forearm ass'y.
    If a load ejects too far fwd or aft,if the load is too hot or cold,if you feel that your weapons dwell time is adversely effected - - -> adjust in small increments. Keep accurate and detailed notes of the adjustments to each gun (I use the clock system ). You might never have to re-adjust . . . but then again ??
    I have found that the basic reasoning for adjustment could be:
    * Your load is too hot or too cold.
    * Shooting subs
    * Unusually heavy bullets for bore size (needs to be very lightly tweaked)
    * Gas ports too big or small (YES some come from the factory frigged up)
    * Make sure that you check the list of other things that could be outta whack BEFORE too much adjustment frustration. ---- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    I have adjustable gas on everything. AR's chambered in: 308Win . . 223Rem . . 5.56X45 . . 300BLK . . 6.8SPC . . 6.8SPCII.
    If you add adjustable gas,make sure that you can get to the adjustment easily also. Some of the darn things expect you to remove the forearm ass'y.
    If a load ejects too far fwd or aft,if the load is too hot or cold,if you feel that your weapons dwell time is adversely effected - - -> adjust in small increments. Keep accurate and detailed notes of the adjustments to each gun (I use the clock system ). You might never have to re-adjust . . . but then again ??
    I have found that the basic reasoning for adjustment could be:
    * Your load is too hot or too cold.
    * Shooting subs
    * Unusually heavy bullets for bore size (needs to be very lightly tweaked)
    * Gas ports too big or small (YES some come from the factory frigged up)
    * Make sure that you check the list of other things that could be outta whack BEFORE too much adjustment frustration. ---- SAWMAN

Nice post Sawman,I have and do mess with buffer and buffer spring first,Buuuuut had a AR in 223 and while shooting reman fed loads 3 boxes(1000 rds each), would shatter buffers, was over it after 3, Adjustable gas block went on it never thought twice of adding to the build/put together bench,some may be wide open but,ya have the option to turn down if needed. Just my experience with 4 Ar platformed rifles,and they can do get to dreamy to shoot if they help,not hard bangs at the buttstock and a bit quieter closer to the shooter as far as action noise.

Title
    Premium Member
    I'll have to agree, good information. One of my AR throws the cases about 1 and 2 o'clock, didn't know why. I think I have another adjustable block around somewhere to try.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell