Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10mm Hunting

Title

10mm Hunting

Hey all just bought a Glock 40, 10mm with a 6 inch barrel, looking at using it primarily for carry in the woods as well as possibly whitetail hunting. Any rounds you would recommend?

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Here's mine.
    More tomorrow. --- SAWMAN

Attached Images Attached Images
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    How do y’all like 10mm? I’ve never shot one but I’m looking around at different pistol calibers to load for other than 9mm

An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Havnt had a chance to take it out yet. I'll let you know when I do

Title
    Premium Member
    That sucker looks vicious SAWMAN

Big Eddy
    Not big and tall but big and round

Title
    Premium Member
    I have owned the above Glock20 since 2004. I origionally bought it for hunting the NW Fla river swamps by foot and from a small boat. I also carry it during my scouting trips prior to deer season.
    I outfitted my gun with Tru-Glo TFO sights which are both fiber optic lighted and trijicon lighted at night. GREAT SIGHTS !! I also added a extended slide stop and a "butt plug". I did a super $.25 trigger job and changed the connector to the 3.5# model.
    I ordered a 6" OEM Glock "hunting barrel" from either Glockmeister or Lone Wolf,as I did most of my other parts. I polished the feed ramp,chamber,and bbl hood to a chrome like shine.
    I also added a Viridian high power green laser to the gun. I can see this lasers dot in the bright sunlight at 50yds,but hunting the swamps or now the deer trails,my targets are very rarely in the sunlight. The laser can be selected to either pulse or constant on. The pulse mode is much quicker to ID when looking thru te brush.
    I origionally set up to reload this chambering. But before I did I got an extremely good deal on Blazer 200gr ammo. Then gave the Double Tap 200gr WFNGC (hardcast) ammo a try. It shot great and killed deer and the larger hogs like a lightening strike. Both of the above ammo shoots to the same POI so I have a great training round.
    My gun's trigger guard has been undercut so the middle finger can be positioned higher on the gun which puts the web of your hand higher for more control and recoil mitigation. This seems to allow me to control the weapon better for faster repeat shots. I hit a big sow some years ago on the third shot. She was on a full out run.
    I have often thought about buying a Glock40 with RMR but at this point my older gun will take care of all my hunting needs. I have killed deer,hogs,and a couple unfortunate coyotes with my gun. Biggest deer . . 120lb 8pt. Biggest hog . . 255lb gnarly old boar that tried to cut me . . TWICE. ---- SAWMAN
    ADDED: My gun is carried in a chest rig.

Last edited by SAWMAN; 03-27-2019 at 04:31 AM.
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    More - - -> What other pistol or revo allows you to unleash as much firepower without a reload (12,000fpe) and the reloads are so quick (a simple mag change).
    Using a RMR with the Glock 40 will not allow you to target if the sight malfunctions. You also have to bring the weapon up to eye level before you can use it.
    Using a rail mounted or internal (Lasermax) laser you can engauge your target from any position (and I have). If using a Lasermax you will not have to change holsters. If these lasers fail you can still use your slide mounted sights.
    For hunting I reccomend a Blackhawk SERPA or a well made chest rig. You are looking for quietness here. The SERPA is totally quiet with great retention. If using a chest rig it MUST be quiet. No loud snaps and ESPECIALLY velcro. Same with your mag carriers. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Just wanted to get back at ya. The 10mm shoots great. Real stiff but smooth recoil quick to get back on target for a follow up shot. Definately my favorite pistol I own so far

Title
    That’s good to hear! Because I just bought another Polymer80 frame and planned on going the Glock20 route. I’m hooked lol

An armed society is a polite society

Title
    SAWMAN, what ammo are you running in your 10? I just picked up a Ruger GP100 Match Champion today in 10mm and I'm looking for a good, stout 10mm load for backcountry carry. I'm leaning toward one of the offerings from Double Tap, Underwood, or Buffalo Bore. Any experience with any of the hard cast options from any of those manufacturers?