Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

1:8/1:9 barrel on 22-250 to shoot heavies

Has anyone played around with a 1:8 or 1:9 barrel on a 22-250? I have a rem 788 with a 1:14 but it would be nice to be able to shoot heavier bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    The Bergara B-14 series of rifles offers several chambered in 22-250 with a 1:9 twist.
    The Ruger American Rifle was offered in the 22-250 chambering with a 1:10 twist.
    I'm looking hard at the Bergara. The 22-250 will outrun the 224Valkyrie. But the 22-250 would be useless to me without at least 24 inches of bbl . . . 26 would be better.
    Would you have enough mag length for a 80 or 90gr bullet loaded into a 788 mag ?? --- SAWMAN

Last edited by SAWMAN; 03-20-2019 at 03:39 AM.
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I am not sure if I would have the length but (would have to check after work) but I would not be apposed to single feeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    They make single shot adaptors for the 788. If you are gonna rebarrel anyway you could do any length,most any profile,any twist,tight neck, . . . AND . . . 22-250AI.
    After some info gathering I would most likely go with a 1:8.5 or 9 twist.
    Using the 788 action would be a fun project and most likely the birth of a extremely accurate gun. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    I'm in the process of building a new rifle, and I debated between the .22-250AI with a fast twist barrel and a .22 Creedmoor. Hornady just released their factory brass for the Creedmoor, as well as New Dimension dies, so I'm going that route. Still waiting on a barrel but the rest of the rifle is ready. Performance-wise, there's little difference between the two, but both should be fantastic performers with 80+ grain bullets and a fast enough twist. I'm going with a blueprinted 700 action, KRG Bravo chassis and probably a 26" barrel.

Title
    Premium Member
    Seems the 22Creedmoor would be the twin to the 22-243 Middlested.
    What is the parent case of the 22C ?? --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Seems the 22Creedmoor would be the twin to the 22-243 Middlested.
    What is the parent case of the 22C ?? --- SAWMAN
    Parent case is the 6mm Creedmoor...easy enough to just neck down 6CM brass in a single operation, or you could do it in two steps with the appropriate neck bushing dies. Making brass from 6CM is an attractive option as there are several top notch manufacturers, including Lapua, who make brass for it. For now, Hornady is the only one that I'm aware of making factory brass so far.

Edit: Good article on the .22CM here: https://www.primalrights.com/library...s/22-creedmoor

Last edited by cynjon; 03-20-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have a buddy that is planning on getting one in a AR action for long(er) range coyotes. But given it will have to be the long/big action the gun seems it will be quite a bit to lug around.
    Me . . ? . . I would opt for a bolt gun with longer bbl,AICS type mags(actually the 6 and 6.5CM mags might do),and other goodies.
    But then you would almost have to use the 80 and 90gr bullets. Why else have the chambering.
    BUT . . . would it do anything that a 22-250AI wouldn't do ?? Or a 22-243 ?? --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Agreed...in the AR10 platform, any of those would work but it gets to be heavy in a hurry. If I was doing a 'yote gun on the AR platform, I'd stick with the Valkyrie in AR15. For a bolt gun, any of the three (.22CM, .22-250AI, .22-243 Middlestead) would perform about the same with a barrel of the appropriate twist. High twist does limit your bullet selection for the low end of the weight range, but to me, that's the point of these cartridges anyhow. If I just want a fast 40-50 grain bullet, I'll just use a .22-250 or .220 Swift. The high BC of the heavier bullets is what really makes them shine at long range. Since I don't have any of the three cartridges at the moment, for my "blank slate" build I decided to go with the Creedmoor, but looked long and hard at the AI with a fast twist barrel. Any of the three would be a hammer on the coyotes.

Title
    Premium Member
    Your right. For me,if sticking to the 45-55gr bullets I would go 220Swift or 22-250 with 12 twist bbl.
    One gun,one chambering,one twist rate,will not shoot the 40's and 90's both accurately.
    Similar excuses are saved for my wife at "new gun or project" time. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2