Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member

How often do you verify powder charges?

How often do you guys verify your powder charges on pistol? I check mine ever 5 cases. Is that to excessive? Sometimes it varies plus or minus. 1. Also how do you combat static electricity on your powder measure? I'm using the Lee auto drum on my turret press.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Rub a used dryer sheet inside the drum to cut down on static. I keep one in the drum when not in use.

JTD

Title
    For me it depends on the powder and the purpose. I usually load (bulk) with room for error top and bottom. I check every 10-15 but I always do a visual. For load development is every single one but that’s a given. For the most part the auto drum works well for me as long as I keep a rhythm

An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    I am finally comfortable that I have trained myself to visually check each round as it comes by in the AP press. It has become a natural part of each pull of the handle. When I become totally comfortable with a how a powder measures in my Hornady measure, then I will load up to 20 at a time without checking. A new powder, until I am comfortable, I check every 5-10.

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks for the feedback.

Title
    Premium Member
    Oh, and on the static, I just got a hopper from Ward at Dram Worx and I am hoping that will reduce and maybe eliminate the static issue.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    Oh, and on the static, I just got a hopper from Ward at Dram Worx and I am hoping that will reduce and maybe eliminate the static issue.
    Post how it works out for you.

Title
    Premium Member
    Will do, I may try it out later today.

Title
    Premium Member
    That depends on what powder I’m loading and what press I‘m loading on. With ball and some flake powders I check all of the first 5 and every tenth one after. Some powders like Unique, I don’t trust it so I check more often. When loading the countless thousands of rounds I have loaded on the XL 650 I only check about every 50th charge. That is only because I know what to expect from it. I know you asked about handgun but I have to say with extruded powder I check each charge. I’m not one of those guys that thinks a tenth of a grain will make a noticeable difference so I allow plus or minus a tenth.

Big Eddy
    Not big and tall but big and round

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Eddy View Post
    That depends on what powder I’m loading and what press I‘m loading on. With ball and some flake powders I check all of the first 5 and every tenth one after. Some powders like Unique, I don’t trust it so I check more often. When loading the countless thousands of rounds I have loaded on the XL 650 I only check about every 50th charge. That is only because I know what to expect from it. I know you asked about handgun but I have to say with extruded powder I check each charge. I’m not one of those guys that thinks a tenth of a grain will make a noticeable difference so I allow plus or minus a tenth.
    Gotcha. I'm using cfe pistol. Every once in a while I'll get a few plus or minus a tenth. Guess I'm over checking it at every five cases lol.