Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Necking up and then trimming

I have been keeping busy with a few spare minutes every day this week running RP .30-06 brass through a .338-06 die. All of these cases are obviously a bit shorter than spec, but I want to trim everything to the same length, so I can just keep things consistent. So in order to do that, what's the best route to take, find the shortest piece and then trim it down a couple thousandths and then trim the rest to that same length? That's the only thing I can think of, but at the same time, I don't want all my rounds to be super short. Anybody run into this, and what route did you take?

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member

Just thought I’d post the pictures
    for those interested who haven’t seen my post in the Wildcat Reloading forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I take the shortest piece and trim just enough off of it to make it square. Then trim the rest to match.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Doing the tedious legwork today. Measuring the 100 sized cases that I have. Found two that were significantly shorter than the rest that got culled and replaced by two extra that I had around. My trim to case length will be for 2.473” and most book lengths star saami length for 2.494”. Time to set up the trimmer for more tedious work!

Title
    Premium Member
    The two pieces of brass in the picture the neck does not look the same. You may want to run them through a check gauge first. There are some that have a cut-away, but they are spendy.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 72Camaro View Post
    The two pieces of brass in the picture the neck does not look the same. You may want to run them through a check gauge first. There are some that have a cut-away, but they are spendy.
    One is 30-06, the other 338-06. Kind of a before and after picture.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 72Camaro View Post
    JTD is correct, just a comparison picture. I’ve shown some less gun savvy friends of mine and no one sees the difference, even in person! I’m glad fellow reloaders have an eye for details!