Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Barnes bullets in 30-06

Hello loading and hunting wizards. I’ve got questions that I’m hoping you can help with.

I’m eyeing my first ever hunting trip this year, and want some help sorting out my bullet choices. I know I want Barnes (assuming they shoot well in my rifle), just not sure which one. I’ll be hunting Eastern Washington mule deer, so being able to reach out to 400 yds would be good.

I’m shooting a Savage 11/111 trophy hunter pro chambered in 30-06. It has a 1:10 twist 22” barrel.

I bought a box of 180 gn TTSX and a pound of IMR 4064 when I had no clue what I was doing, and recently noticed that it says 1:11 or faster on it. I called Barnes and talked to a ballistics tech. He said it’d be on the edge, and might work but he couldn’t guarantee it.

It looks like my options are either 130, 150, or 165 gn in the TTSX line.

Can you guys share any insights with me on where to go from here? Keeping in mind the range I’d like to reach out to, whatever I pick will need to deliver good stopping power at range. I’m hoping to not just get a “choose this one” answer, but an explanation of why so that I can learn.

Also, any muley tips for a novice would be awesome too.

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    My choice would be a 150gr barnes tipped triple shock (ttsx). I find I prefer the tipped version of the barnes bullet more than the untipped. With the barnes bullet being solid copper, I typically shoot one bullet weight down from what I would normally shoot. So if I would normally shoot a 180gr “standard” bullet, I would choose a 165gr in the barnes, if I would normally shoot a 165gr lead tipped bullet, I would choose 150gr in barnes. The reason I do this is because the Barnes Bullets are long for weight because of their lack of lead, a 150gr barnes will be as long as a 165gr hornady sp. A traditional cup and core bullet needs extra weight for penetration, where the barnes penetrates by design, so the extra velocity of the lighter bullet will help with downrange trajectory while still out penetrating its lead laden cousin. I prefer the plastic tips because it’s been my experience that as the bullet slows down at extended ranges, the plastic tip helps it to still expand readily and quickly. There will be multiple different suggestions from people, none of them will be wrong, this is just one man’s experience and take on the subject.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member

Barnes bullets in 30-06

Maybe I’m not reading this right.

1:10in twist is faster than a 1:11in twist. You should be perfectly fine. Not sure why the Barnes Tech said you’d be on the edge. Especially if your hunting at higher elevations thinner air is more forgiving then air at sea level.

Definitely am a fan of the 168 and the 150 TTSX for Mule deer. I think even the TSX bullets are great for the yardages you are looking at.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.

Last edited by Jay Andrew; 03-08-2019 at 07:08 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Andrew View Post
    Maybe I’m not reading this right.

1:10in twist is faster than a 1:11in twist. You should be perfectly fine. Not sure why the Barnes Tech said you’d be on the edge. Especially if your hunting at higher elevations thinner air is more forgiving then air at sea level.

Definitely am a fan of the 168 and the 150 TTSX for Mule deer. I think even the TSX bullets are great for the yardages you are looking at.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.
    I meant to mention about the twist rate also. 1-10” should be more than adequate for barnes 180gr tsx.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Now that you say it, that is confusing... I thought my barrel was slower than the bullets suggested. I pulled the 1:10 number from the web, I’ll have to actually check my barrel to see what the twist is.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambochicken View Post
    Now that you say it, that is confusing... I thought my barrel was slower than the bullets suggested. I pulled the 1:10 number from the web, I’ll have to actually check my barrel to see what the twist is.

1-10” is pretty standard for 30-06.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Okay, I measured this girl today and it is in fact a 1:10 twist. Or bloody close to it anyway, the error was probably in my measuring actually.

So that said, evidently I can shoot the 180’s. But is that the best choice?

Title
    Premium Member
    IMO consider lighter and faster. 130-150gr would be about right. Consider carefully,bullet makeup. Personally . . . I love the Barnes TSX or TTSX. I have killed many deer with the 130gr TSX coming out my 308Win.
    The lighter bullets will give you a better trajectory at the longer ranges you speak of also. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    IMO consider lighter and faster. 130-150gr would be about right. Consider carefully,bullet makeup. Personally . . . I love the Barnes TSX or TTSX. I have killed many deer with the 130gr TSX coming out my 308Win.
    The lighter bullets will give you a better trajectory at the longer ranges you speak of also. --- SAWMAN
    That’s what Jeffery said too... so I think I will consider getting something a little lighter. My brain says heavier is better, but that’s why I ask those who know more than I do.

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ll jump in here and touch in this a bit too. I have a .30-06 that has been my primary deer rifle for a few years.
    I’ve shot 165gr Gamekings for a while and liked how they shot, and performed. With that being said, I’ve been slowly switching over to non-lead options for any game that will make it to the table. I have a .338-06 that is nearly assembled and that will be my rifle for heavy stuff. Now I plan to switch to a 150gr .30-06 all copper bullet and make this rifle a bit more deer friendly and maybe use it for some longer distance shots with a flatter trajectory. As long as you have the 180gr bullets, I’d try them! You aren’t put anything and they will still kill deer. But you might like the lighter bullet a bit better! Worth trying for sure!