Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: I1639

Title
    Premium Member

I1639

There is a HB that is starting and is intended to repeal 1639. I emailed three representatives last night. This is the first response, from Rep. Orcutt

Thank you for your e-mail regarding firearms policy in our state and nation. I work hard to assure that the citizens in our state are safe from criminal acts – including defending citizens’ ability to defend themselves should they come under attack – and to severely punish those who violate the laws of our state. I’ll continue to work to assure the citizens are protected from those who otherwise would inflict harm.

However, I have long been opposed to additional restrictions on firearms or firearm accessories. It is clear to me that the mass shootings we have seen in recent years have all been in violation of current laws and are the result of an individual’s misuse of a firearm – not the fault of the firearm/accessory itself. Since these individuals have no respect for our current laws nor for human life, I have little reason to hope that a ban on any firearm or firearm accessory will have any effect on mass shootings as I doubt that anyone who is intent on killing or causing bodily harm to others – those who already are willing to violate the laws designed to protect the public from firearm violence -- will have any more regard for any firearm law than they do for laws against threatening or causing harm to others.

The net result of a new firearm law would only serve to turn responsible firearms owners/users into criminals rather than to reduce mass shootings or increase penalties for violations of our current laws.

I also have concerns when any form of confiscation is proposed. Confiscation should not occur without due process -- firearms should not be taken unless necessary. And, when it is deemed lawful for the owner to be in possession, firearms should be returned as quickly as possible.

For the reasons stated above, I do not support additional restrictions on firearms/firearm accessories, but stand for your 2nd Amendment rights and for due process.

Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    At least someone has their head out of their ass on this issue. Good for him!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk