Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Title
    Premium Member
    I would be REALLY surprised if any combo of scope,rings,or base,would produce any degree of accuracy if mounted to the top of the carry handle.
    Plus . . . the scope will be positioned waaaay too high for proper cheek weld. You need to get yourself a flat top for the longer range targets.
    I remember the Colt scopes that they gave us for our different Colt "Commando Carbines". They were better than open sights . . . but not by much. --- SAWMAN

Last edited by SAWMAN; 03-30-2019 at 07:45 AM.
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    I would be REALLY surprised if any combo of scope,rings,or base,would produce any degree of accuracy if mounted to the top of the carry handle.
    Plus . . . the scope will be positioned waaaay too high for proper cheek weld. You need to get yourself a flat top for the longer range targets.
    I remember the Colt scopes that they gave us for our different Colt "Commando Carbines". They were better than open sights . . . but not by much. --- SAWMAN
    I had a trijicon acog mounted on this rifle (on the carry handle) for years before this adventure. It would shoot “groups” with the acog. The acog mounts directly to the carry handle without any rails or anything, exactly how these scope mounts I’m trying mount to the carry handle. The best groups I shot with the 4x acog were around 2” with factory ammo. Now with the scope I occasionally shoot a group, but most times it will cluster 3 shots together with 2 shots Willy nilly at random places. So I know the rifle is capable of 2” groups, and feel like the scope mount I was using was the culprit with my crazy fliers. I’m not going to drop the $$$ on a new upper, armalight is way expensive. I typically use 3/4” risers on all my flat top ar’s, so the carry handle actually puts the scope in perfect position for me. I’m not expecting match type accuracy out of this pencil barreled monster, I’ll be happy with 2” groups with a decent hunting bullet.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Got the new scope mount on my rifle.

On the left is the el cheapo utg Mount that I had on originally. On the right is the new dnz mount. They are the same type of mount, just much different degrees of quality. I will post the results after the next time I get to the range.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I got to shoot 3, 5 shot groups today. All three were loaded with varget and 165gr sst (2.750”). 40.5gr 2.868”. 41.0gr 1.540”. 41.5gr 1.182”. Seemed to be getting better as the powder charge went up. Now here is the kicker. When I went to put the rifle back in the case, the scope mount was loose. HA! I have no idea when it started loosening, so those 2 good groups could just be bullshit. I’ve got 3 more loads loaded up with RL15 that I will try tomorrow. The scope mount now has thread locker on it too.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I shot the RL15 loads today. The scope mount stayed tight, and got sub 1.5” groups with 41.0 and 41.5gr RL15. 42.0gr opened up quite a bit and had substantially more recoil. I’m going to retest those loads and shoot over the chronograph. Next time I get a chance. Fingers crossed.

JTD