Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member

Remington 700 .223 Remington.

I’ve got a Remington 700 ADL sporter in .223 Remington. It has a 1-12” twist, which was popular when I bought this rifle. Over the summer I picked up 1000 hornady 55gr btsp with cannelure from Wes, on a smoking deal. My quest was to find a super cheap plinking load for my kids and I, with a bullet that would still be good to dispose of an occasional critter. So I dug out an 8lb can of accurate 2200 data powder that had been given to me years ago. So I took twice fired neck sized PMC brass, only ever fired in this gun, Winchester small rifle primers, and seated the bullets .010” off the lands. I started my powder charges at minimum and worked up in .3gr increments to max powder charge. 20.4gr to 23.4gr. These are my results.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve loaded up 5 each of 20.4gr .445”, 20.7gr .638”, and 23.1gr .727”, to test for accuracy again and chronograph. I am looking for a load over 2800fps with as much accuracy as possible. I will post my final results here when it warms and dries up.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Interesting results today. 20.4gr (which was initially the most accurate) turned in a 5shot group of 1.822” 2769.6fps, too slow and not accurate enough. 20.7gr (2nd most accurate on first outing) had a 5 shot group at 1.331” 2795.0fps, too slow accuracy sucks. 23.1gr was .466” 3120.6fps, perfect. Even though this last one was the least accurate of the 3 on initial testing, it has turned in sub MOA groups on both occasions.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I know you are trying to find a load for the 55 grain btsp's, but I've found that those never group the way the Vmax do, and I have a lot of them too and spfb as I could not pass up the good deals and same here as I did want something inexpensive to shoot with less worry about costs. But with the 1:12 twist I think you will find some 40 grain vmax with a load of the proper H355 could possibly be grouping in the .25's if everything is right. I also did some 35 grainiers, I think Noslers with no lead, and I had a 3/16" group with N133 and the velocity was crazy fast but it has been so long I don't remember what it was. And the worse group on the ladder with those was 1/2". But, they are too expensive to load so it was a one time deal.

But man, that last load you did looks like I may have to go back to the drawing board.
    “The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member
    This is just an old sporter barreled 700 adl. It’s never been an extremely accurate rifle, but fun. The original load I settled on back in the 90’s was a 55 gr Sierra hpbt with imr4198. It was about a 3/4” load. Took me forever to find a load that shot well out of it. I killed so many prairie dogs, coons, coyotes, and jack rabbits with that load. The rifle has sat dormant for several years now. So last year I dusted the old gal off after getting that smoking deal on those bullets from Wes, I have an 8lb jug of AA2200 data powder that was given to me years ago, and decided to work up a load for my 8 and 11 year olds to plink with when they go to the range with me. So my end goal is to have a super cheap plinking load for the kids, while at the same time having a round that could dispatch a coyote at 200 yards if I wanted to.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Looks like you are killing two birds with one stone with your 23.1 grain load. Accurate and shooting at a great price. Nicely done.
    “The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 72Camaro View Post
    Looks like you are killing two birds with one stone with your 23.1 grain load. Accurate and shooting at a great price. Nicely done.
    I was hoping for “good”. This load has exceeded my hopes so far.

JTD

Title
    "Outstanding" is my interpretation!
    If you want to duplicate these groups using Nosler's 55gr #39526, I got the data!!
    2014-04-13 08.36.45.jpg

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    "Outstanding" is my interpretation!
    If you want to duplicate these groups using Nosler's 55gr #39526, I got the data!!
    2014-04-13 08.36.45.jpg
    What load gave you all of that awesomeness?

JTD

Title
    That was 4.0gr of Trail Boss @ 1165fps from a 22" 1:12" twist barrel.
    The Remington 55gr PSP did just fine at that velocity.
    The 55gr Noslers straightened out and did fine when driven at usual .223 velocities.