Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Wtf??? From the lee reloading manual

I know this can't be right, as in impossible.
    However I did call LEE about it, dude said I should call the powder manufacturers, right, like it's their fault. I called them anyway. They pretty much shrugged it off.

I'm in FB jail again for the 5th or 6th 30 day stint and was not able to respond back to others asking questions, not paying attention to what I wrote the first time.
    I will say that I have probably 25 or so reloading manuals that I read/research quite often.
    One guy assumed that I meant frangible when I posted this was for .224 diameter LEAD bullets that are shown to be at 3,900 fps and above.

When I was checking out case volume on a lot of cartridges, I found strange discrepancies.
    Why would LEE put out such erroneous information???

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve never owned a lee manual. I feel like it is the #1 most recommended manual out there, but I’ve never cared for it. 3900fps does seem like a stretch for a lead bullet. Is the bullet gas checked?

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Lee does NOT do any testing on there own, they just reprint data from powder and bullet manufactures.
    IMHO Lyman is a better manual because they actually do the testing they print.

Big Eddy
    Not big and tall but big and round

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Eddy View Post
    Lee does NOT do any testing on there own, they just reprint data from powder and bullet manufactures.
    IMHO Lyman is a better manual because they actually do the testing they print.
    Lyman hornady and Nosler are the ones I reference the most.

JTD

Title
    Anyone else with a Lee manual have the same data? I’m not home right now but I’ll check to see if mine says the same thing. Sounds sketchy but I use at least 3 references on charge weight before I load any up

An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mikronis View Post
    I know this can't be right, as in impossible.
    When I was checking out case volume on a lot of cartridges, I found strange discrepancies.
    Why would LEE put out such erroneous information???
    Please give us specific book reference, cartridge/load and page numbers.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    Anyone else with a Lee manual have the same data?
    My 1997 reprint don't.

Title
    Premium Member
    It all depends on how Lee compiles their load Manuel’s. If they are referring you to powder manufacturers then it’s likely that the load data presented in the Lee Manuel was not test data that they themselves generated.

Every load Manuel has some errors in it, despite the best efforts of editors and technical experts they cannot catch everything. One of the reasons you get many revisions. The Lee book is old enough that I would consider it outdated, manny companies post updated load information online now, and that would be the first place I looked.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.

Title
    Premium Member
    Sorry for the huge delay! Complications on this end.
    This data is from the renowned LEE Reloading Manual.
    It's showing a 35gr LEAD plain bullet at up to 4400 FPS which is INSANE!
    EVERY OTHER Reloading manual shows just a little over 2,000 FPS for LEAD bullets AND those are with GAS CHECKS!

In the Hornady Reloading manual, in the bullet section, it shows a .224 SX bullet with a warning that it not be shot over 3,400 FPS lest it disintegrate after leaving the muzzle.

I am just curious as to why LEE would publish such ERRONEOUS information?

I thought it was an honest manual and really liked that it included the H²O water capacity of the case used in the data EXCEPT that I noticed some very odd numbers, ie: some smaller cases having a larger capacity than a larger case. No, I didn't write them down, I just remembered that I saw them.
    However if need be, I can go back and find them if need be.

I hope that I am NEVER near someone shooting handloads with erroneous information.
    We make enough mistakes without having "professional" help, lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Personally I think shooting a plain Lead bullet much past 2000fps a bad idea. Let alone 3000+ fps.

I’d contact Lee and see what they say about it. I’d be curious on their response.

Check out my website!
    www.theballisticassistant.com