Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drag racing

Title
    Premium Member

Drag racing

My other hobby is drag racing but with my new job I've had very little time for shooting and was not able to drag race this year. First time I've missed in 8 years. My buddy and I started building our race vehicles around the same time but he has expanded to build race chassis for other, some real big hitters sometimes. He builds them on the side and is very gifted. I built my own cage, extended the wheel wells to fit the tires 5" wider, full frame the chassis, welded disc brakes on the rearend and my buddy built an all aluminum dash that mimics the original for a '72 Camaro. It runs low 10's and I'm the slowest of the guys I race with as my son-in-law, his Dad and another buddy running a '67 Mustang with big block Chevy run low 9's, my buddy and another friend have run high 7's and one of their Dads runs mid 9's and he is about 71 years old. My car is the first one, the only Camaro.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member

The rat rod looking truck my buddy hand built nearly everything, including making his own drop spindle for the front, 5" sectioned out and the top chopped 9" and has run high 7's naturally aspirated.

Last edited by 72Camaro; 02-09-2019 at 07:24 AM.
    “The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member

But for some reason I cannot find the '72 Chevelle that has run high 7's with my other buddy.

Title
    Premium Member
    I think your Camaro is the best looking car in the bunch, but I do like the Chevelle as well.

Big Eddy
    Not big and tall but big and round

Title
    Premium Member
    Very Nice. I race also but been a few years as we no longer have a local race track. It is a 79Z28 small block 350. It has been in many magazines over the years. It runs mid 10's at best, but it is a fun car to drive. See my Utube channel Andy79z28 have a few videos there as well as some reloading videos. I am just stating up my channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSRHNATRY-k

Last edited by Andyt2; 02-09-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Nice looking car.

I built a '79Z that started as a 500.00 carcass. It was really clean. I was cleaning the engine bay with a q-tip before I sold it. I did all the bodywork, painted it and all the mechanical including making the AC work with parts from a different model donor car. I do not build cars anymore as I've moved more to shooting, reloading and stuff. Was cheaper to build cars I think.

Last edited by 72Camaro; 02-10-2019 at 06:04 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    I forgot about the video, mine is a few years old. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOLzhZ-jPKE

My daughter recorded it.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Eddy View Post
    I think your Camaro is the best looking car in the bunch, but I do like the Chevelle as well.
    Thanks. I wish I could find a picture of my buddy's '72 Chevelle, it is pretty cool.

See if this link works: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Title
    Premium Member
    My other hobby is also drag racing,have you been watching any of the lights out 10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    No, haven't seen much drag racing on TV. Seems like it is usually on when I'm not available to watch.