Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

.338-06 anybody?

Does anyone here have any experience with the .338-06? I’m building one in the not so distance future and was just curious to see if anyone else loads for one here? My barrel just arrived this week and if I can find some time this weekend, I’d like to get it on the rifle. Building off of a Savage 110 using an ER Shaw barrel kit. Right now I’m thinking of focusing on the Barnes bullets around 200 grains, though I might buy some Sierra or Hornady bulletin to start the project with for some cheaper trigger time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I load for 338-06 improved. Great caliber. I’ve mostly stuck with 200gr and under bullets. My main bullet for years was barnes 185gr tsx. I’ve had success with 180gr accubonds and 200gr ballistic silver tips. I’ve got some 210gr partitions and 225gr hornady spire points to try but haven’t got around to it yet. My best powders have been 4895 4320 and 4064.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    JTD, thanks for that info! I was looking at that 185gr, but worried it would be too short. What barrel twist does yours have? Mine is 1:10” I have been reading about good results with IMR4064 so that was going to be my first powder to try.

Title
    Premium Member
    Mine is a 10” twist also

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Started forming brass last night. Using a bunch of once-fired RP .30-06. I got a chance to sit down at tee bench last night and finished 50 of them. I have about 150 more to do before I’ll start some load development. Imperial case lube in the outside and hen inside the case neck for good measure. Wiping off with some mineral spirits.

Title
    Premium Member
    Looking good. What bullet did you decide to start with?

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Will it have anything on the short action 338Federal ?? --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Looking good. What bullet did you decide to start with?

JTD
    JTD, I haven’t decided quite yet. The more I read others opinions the more I shy away from the 210gr TTSX. But the 185gr version doesn’t speak to me as much. Trying to find a middle ground with other brands and think I might give the 200gr Nosler Etip a try, as a compromise. I ran some numbers through a ballistic calculator (which I fully understand to not take as Gospel truth) and even with the 210gr TTSX, it is still carrying 2000fps at 400, which in my research is nearing the lower recommended velocity of 1800 for most all copper bullets. Probably never take a shot that far, but it’s nice to know it’s still within the limits. Comparing that to the 185 which at 400 yards is spinning along at around about the same of right around 2000fps. Kinda a dilemma I’ve run into with my stubbornness for all copper bullets, but just more to research. That’s why I’m looking at the 200gr Etip as it is about as close to being in the middle of these two as you can get.

Title
    Premium Member

.338-06 anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Will it have anything on the short action 338Federal ?? --- SAWMAN
    Not really. A couple more FPS as it burns a bit more powder, but I like the .30-06 family and have become intrigued with this cartridge. I’m planning building it as my future elk rifle.

Last edited by Jbotto; 03-11-2019 at 06:37 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Couple things - - ->
    Disclaimer- - -> I have no expierance with the 338 solid copper bullets . . . BUT . . .
    On more than several ocassions I have talked to the Barnes people on the phone re. their TSX and TTSX line of .308",.224",and .458" bullets. Also in re. to the .308" bullets for use in my 300BLK guns. These are <131grs.
    On every ocassion they tell me that their published or stated minimum opening velocities are for "optimal expansion". They will not elaborate on that,but as I understand it you will get a lesser level of expansion at the < "optimal expansion" velocities. Question is . . . how much less ????
    Obviously,if your bullet drops off 100fps under their "optimal expansion" velocity,it will still expand. But how much ?? Remember also that a bbls faster twist rate will help with expansion also.
    All in all,I have not got too hung-up on the velocity vs impact distance thing. If my figured max distance for a 110gr coming out of one of my 300BLK's is 225yds,would I attempt to kill a critter at 250,275,etc. ?? Yep,I sure would . . . within reason.
    Also,Barnes will tell you that their solid copper bullets like a little jump into the lands and not right on them. I load accordingly and get some amazing accuracy from their bullets. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2