Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve shot Barnes Bullets out of the 338 federal and 338-06 Improved, for years. The 338 federal shoots the barnes 160gr TTSX at 2750fps, and the 338-06 Improved shoots the 185gr TSX at 2900fps. Every deer and hog I’ve shot with these rifles has been under 200 yards. Every animal shot with these 2 rifles, has died and been recovered. On thin skinned, easy to kill, deer I have found the tipped version of the barnes bullet to be a quicker killer. In my experience, the 338 federal with the tipped 160gr at 2750 puts deer down faster than the heavier faster 185gr UNtipped bullet out of the 338-06. On hogs, the bullets perform the same, but they are bigger tougher thicker skinned creatures. I have zero experience with the Hornady GMX line of bullets so I cannot speak on those with experience. For elk, the barnes tipped or untipped 185gr - 210gr bullets should perform admirably out of the 338-06.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    If expansion at long distances is a concern, then you could also look at the Nosler 200gr accubond and 210 partition. Both are soft enough to expand at lower velocities, but tough enough to get the job done at close range higher velocities.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Couple things - - ->
    Disclaimer- - -> I have no expierance with the 338 solid copper bullets . . . BUT . . .
    On more than several ocassions I have talked to the Barnes people on the phone re. their TSX and TTSX line of .308",.224",and .458" bullets. Also in re. to the .308" bullets for use in my 300BLK guns. These are <131grs.
    On every ocassion they tell me that their published or stated minimum opening velocities are for "optimal expansion". They will not elaborate on that,but as I understand it you will get a lesser level of expansion at the < "optimal expansion" velocities. Question is . . . how much less ????
    Obviously,if your bullet drops off 100fps under their "optimal expansion" velocity,it will still expand. But how much ?? Remember also that a bbls faster twist rate will help with expansion also.
    All in all,I have not got too hung-up on the velocity vs impact distance thing. If my figured max distance for a 110gr coming out of one of my 300BLK's is 225yds,would I attempt to kill a critter at 250,275,etc. ?? Yep,I sure would . . . within reason.
    Also,Barnes will tell you that their solid copper bullets like a little jump into the lands and not right on them. I load accordingly and get some amazing accuracy from their bullets. --- SAWMAN
    Thanks for this post SAWMAN. I appreciate it! I can honestly say I didn't really stop to think about that. Like you mentioned, if the Barnes people say 1800fps, it's not like at 1750 or even 1700 they will just stop expanding. The numbers that everyone has heard is for "optimum expansion" which to me means that will cover their butt a bit as they probably start seeing inconsistencies under that veloity. Inconsistencies don't mean complete failure of performance. I think I'm over thinking this, and your post has helped calm me down a bit. Thanks also for the seating length hint! That is much appreciated!

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I’ve shot Barnes Bullets out of the 338 federal and 338-06 Improved, for years. The 338 federal shoots the barnes 160gr TTSX at 2750fps, and the 338-06 Improved shoots the 185gr TSX at 2900fps. Every deer and hog I’ve shot with these rifles has been under 200 yards. Every animal shot with these 2 rifles, has died and been recovered. On thin skinned, easy to kill, deer I have found the tipped version of the barnes bullet to be a quicker killer. In my experience, the 338 federal with the tipped 160gr at 2750 puts deer down faster than the heavier faster 185gr UNtipped bullet out of the 338-06. On hogs, the bullets perform the same, but they are bigger tougher thicker skinned creatures. I have zero experience with the Hornady GMX line of bullets so I cannot speak on those with experience. For elk, the barnes tipped or untipped 185gr - 210gr bullets should perform admirably out of the 338-06.

JTD
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    If expansion at long distances is a concern, then you could also look at the Nosler 200gr accubond and 210 partition. Both are soft enough to expand at lower velocities, but tough enough to get the job done at close range higher velocities.

JTD
    Thanks JTD for sharing your experiences with these! I appreciate that a bunch! I think I'm going to go with my gut and give the 210's a try. I can't say I have plans to shoot big game at 400 yards and realistically 300 will probably rarely happen, but I don't think the projected ballistic numbers I was getting are anything I should be too worried about. I've heard very positive results from both the 200gr Accubond and the 210gr Partition seems to be the standby bullet for the .338-06 from my research. As a fall back, those are definitely some great options I'll look into if I every decided to stray from the non-lead options.

On a different note, I have completed over 100 sized cases this past week and am getting antsy for some time to screw the rifle together and get to shooting! I saw that MidwayUSA had a deal on some factory seconds .338" 215 Sierra Gamekings for about $0.30 apiece so I scooped up 100 to get my barrel broken in and get comfortable with my rifle before I go ahead and get serious with some load development. Should have some ammo loaded up in the next couple of weeks!

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    Thanks JTD for sharing your experiences with these! I appreciate that a bunch! I think I'm going to go with my gut and give the 210's a try. I can't say I have plans to shoot big game at 400 yards and realistically 300 will probably rarely happen, but I don't think the projected ballistic numbers I was getting are anything I should be too worried about. I've heard very positive results from both the 200gr Accubond and the 210gr Partition seems to be the standby bullet for the .338-06 from my research. As a fall back, those are definitely some great options I'll look into if I every decided to stray from the non-lead options.

On a different note, I have completed over 100 sized cases this past week and am getting antsy for some time to screw the rifle together and get to shooting! I saw that MidwayUSA had a deal on some factory seconds .338" 215 Sierra Gamekings for about $0.30 apiece so I scooped up 100 to get my barrel broken in and get comfortable with my rifle before I go ahead and get serious with some load development. Should have some ammo loaded up in the next couple of weeks!
    Awesome! You are just about ready to go. That’s a good deal on those sierras. Great idea to break the barrel in, fireform brass, and get acquainted with your rifle. Keep us posted.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member

.338-06 anybody?

Instead of starting a new post in this, I figured I’d wake this one up again. Been looking for data on those Sierra 215’s and it seems most data includes 210 or 225. Info not have any Sierra manuals and maybe I should get one. Does anyone have one that they could look through for me? I’d appreciate a picture of any of at all .338-06 data that Sierra has!

Edit to include: I have seen the data for this weight bullet on Hodgdon’s website but I always go for two data sources before I start loading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jbotto; 06-09-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Here’s a mock-up of the rifle with the new stock. Have some sanding to do on the barrel channel and the trigger guard.

Title
    Premium Member
    Only data I could get my hands on was the hogdgon/imr/winchester data. I love the rifle!

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks JTD. Jumped on a good deal for the stock. Wasn’t exactly what I wanted but definitely close enough. Even was made for me, a left handed shooter of right handed rifles. I’m out of town this weekend, but I’m hoping to eat it sanded out next week! I just want to shoot this thing!

Title
    Premium Member
    I am right handed, but shoot rifles left handed. All of my rifles are right handed. I feel like at this point in my life, if I were to pick up a left handed rifle, I wouldn’t be able to use it properly.

JTD