Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Cleaning lube off brass

Hello everyone! I've been out of reloading for rifle for a few years and was just going over some stuff before I start production up again. I know when I last loaded for bottleneck cases, I was using an RCBS lube pad with liquid lube. It always worked but I never had a good way to clean the lube off the cases. I think I ended up throwing the cases back in the tumbler but it always seemed that it just ended up souring the media quicker when I did that. Before I went on this hiatus, I started using the Imperial Sizing Wax with great results. To me, it's much less messy and seems to really be a smooth way to lube bottleneck cases. So ultimately, my question is what do I use to remove that wax from brass? Thank you in advance for any help garnered by this post!

Similar Threads:

Title
    I’ve done it two ways. I’ve just taken a towel and wiped the excess lube off and called it good because I wasnt lubing the inside of the case mouth but that was usually a small batch deal because of time and I went right into loading after case prep. But normally for bulk 223 I deprime, wet tumble, size and tumble in corn cob and nufinish to take the lube off

An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    I use imperial sizing die wax too. You can just use a rag to wipe the wax off of the outside of the body, the problem is lube inside the neck. I put my brass in the tumbler with corn cob media mineral spirits and nu finish. The mineral spirits helps clean and cut the lube while reducing dust, and the nu finish helps polish and protect the brass. I used to just wipe my brass down and get inside the case neck as best I could, but would get frustrated when powder would stick to the left over lube inside the case neck. That is why I switched.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Spray them with brake cleaner. It'll cut the oil and wax off but won't hurt the finish and will dry in a minute or so.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I just tumble in Corn cob and Nu finish. Media is cheap enough to change when needed.

Title
    Premium Member
    I just put them in my ultrasonic cleaner with alcohol for 10 mins

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog View Post
    I just tumble in Corn cob and Nu finish. Media is cheap enough to change when needed.
    How often do you find yourself changing media?

Title
    Premium Member
    On the great advice from Wes Sage, I switched from RCBS case lube w/pad and tried UNIQUE CASE LUBE.
    That stuff is AWESOME, probably will never ever get case lube dents, it's very light and it's super easy to clean up!
    One little tub of it will last a very long time!

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk