Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Favorite varmint cartridge

Sorry this isn’t directly reloading related but I am looking to build my next AR and have been seriously looking at the 204 ruger. I am open to thoughts and ideas wildcats anything really that will fit into the AR-15 lower I have. The 204 seems very available and fair priced. Love the ballistic it seems to offer. It doesn’t seem to be a huge barrel burner which is great the more I can get out of a barrel the better. Also seems to be fairly viable at extended ranges according to tales I have heard of people getting kills at 800 yards on coyotes. Don’t know if that’s true or not and I’m not really too worried about anything past 500...
    17 rem is also a maybe.

Thanks for any info offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    In the 223 class of cartridges, I would pick the 204 over the 17rem and 223. I shoot them all out of bolt guns. The 17 rem is a 20gr vmax going 4300fps. It is a laser beam out to 400yds, but wind kicks it’s ass. The 223 can get close to 204 performance, but not quite, but brass and bullets are cheap and plentiful. The 204 is much like shooting a 22-250 performance wise. Mine shoots a 32gr vmax at just under 4000fps, and I’ve made consistent shots on prairie dogs out to 600 yards. There may be some wildcats out there that can do better, but my vote goes to 204 Ruger.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    In the 223 class of cartridges, I would pick the 204 over the 17rem and 223. I shoot them all out of bolt guns. The 17 rem is a 20gr vmax going 4300fps. It is a laser beam out to 400yds, but wind kicks it’s ass. The 223 can get close to 204 performance, but not quite, but brass and bullets are cheap and plentiful. The 204 is much like shooting a 22-250 performance wise. Mine shoots a 32gr vmax at just under 4000fps, and I’ve made consistent shots on prairie dogs out to 600 yards. There may be some wildcats out there that can do better, but my vote goes to 204 Ruger.

JTD
    Yeah this is about what I have read. Thank you it is always nice to hear I am likely on the right path.

Yeah... the 22-250 in my opinion doesn’t seem quite like a varmint round it still has a lot of power. So something in the 223 is better for me thank you.

Title
    Premium Member
    Check out the .20 Practical. It will be my choice for next varmint shooting AR. You neck size .223 and roll. Cheap brass, haven't priced dies yet though.

Title
    Premium Member
    I run a .204 Ruger bolt gun every now and then for coyotes. 3750 FPS out of 20” barrel with 35 grain Bergers. I haven’t shot one past 250 with it, but it drops them just fine!

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledslnger View Post
    Check out the .20 Practical. It will be my choice for next varmint shooting AR. You neck size .223 and roll. Cheap brass, haven't priced dies yet though.
    So I have looked around for this and the brass prep seems a bit annoying other than that I would be all for it. My understanding is you have size with 223 rem die with ball pulled out of the die. Then you have to essentially neck size to 204 using Redding bushing die. You have to do this every time. Or I guess every few times if you want to just neck size for the most part. If I could buy just a 20 orca die I would be a lot more excited about it.

Title
    Premium Member
    My varmint hunting would consist of PD's out west,woodchucks and coyotes in Maine,and called or over bait coyotes down here.
    In Maine I used a 24" AR chambered in 223Rem with 1:9 twist. I started out with 52gr SMK's then went to 40gr NosBalTip's. With this gun I could get some pretty extreme vels from the 40gr bullets. They were pretty explosive on coyotes also.
    If I had that same gun I would be using it today. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Depends on the varmint on what is my favorite round.

Ground squirrels: Custom 10/22 with Shilen barrel .22lr and Savage BTVSS in .17hmr for anything past 60 yds going 1260fps and 2600fps (velocities pretty close to listed on ammo boxes)
    Prairie Dogs: AR 24" White Oak Armament and Timney trigger .223/5.56 barrel in 1:12 twist Vmax or Nosler balistic tip 40 grain and working on Zombie 50 grain now that should rival the accuracy with most shots under 0.5 MOA going 3400fps
    Rock Chucks: Remington 700 varmint barrel with Timney trigger in .243 and 58 grain vmax with one load nearly 3700fps and another almost 3800fps and very accurate
    “The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell