Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCoyote View Post
    The XTP & Gold Dots I push hard because I've been using them when checking hog traps to dispatch wild hogs as well as when I'm hunting if they come by close enough to pop them. So far they have done pretty good. I use Longshot to push them that fast. Power Pistol is slightly slower, but is more accurate... only about 30 fps slower on average. With the Xtreme, I have pushed them over 1,400 fps, but the accuracy was not good at all. They seem to like the 1,250 fps - 1,320 fps range.. Much past that and accuracy goes south. I use AA#9 on the Xtreme because it helps keep setback to a minimal and is pretty accurate. Keep in mind this is all from my particular set up, XDm .40 S&W 4.5" with a Storm Lake .357 SIG 4.6" conversion barrel.
    It's only a 10 yard gun for me. Do you think Longshot would OK with extreme bullets and Speer gold dots as far as accuracy goes?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Should be good with the Gold Dots for sure. When I say Power Pistol is more accurate, its not like 1" group at 25 yards vs 3" group accuracy, but it is slightly more noticeable. I think it comes down to the velocity difference just like with any gun where the velocity node is at. If you keep the loads lower towards the starting load for the Xtreme they should be pretty good for that range. The thing with Longshot is that is is FAST velocity with lower pressures than most powders, same goes for Power Pistol. Since you have a chrono, you should be able to tell what range they shoot best at velocity wise. I'm gonna bet they like it similar to what my experience is. The Xtreme are cheap enough to plink with all day, so at 10 yards, it doesn't really matter if they are 1,200 fps, or if they are 1,500 fps. Find the most accurate load and tear up some targets having fun. You will find, you will probably never buy factory ammo in the SIG again because even FMJ are expensive LOL

"Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    Premium Member
    Should be good with the Gold Dots for sure. When I say Power Pistol is more accurate, its not like 1" group at 25 yards vs 3" group accuracy, but it is slightly more noticeable. I think it comes down to the velocity difference just like with any gun where the velocity node is at. If you keep the loads lower towards the starting load for the Xtreme they should be pretty good for that range. The thing with Longshot is that is is FAST velocity with lower pressures than most powders, same goes for Power Pistol. Since you have a chrono, you should be able to tell what range they shoot best at velocity wise. I'm gonna bet they like it similar to what my experience is. The Xtreme are cheap enough to plink with all day, so at 10 yards, it doesn't really matter if they are 1,200 fps, or if they are 1,500 fps. Find the most accurate load and tear up some targets having fun. You will find, you will probably never buy factory ammo in the SIG again because even FMJ are expensive LOL
    Got it. I'll be testing away.

Title
    Premium Member
    By my calculations, I'm loading the Xtreme for around $0.18/ea thats with one use of the brass, so even cheaper if you load it 3-5 times. the XTP & Gold Dots are roughly $0.30/ea if you count using the brass only once. These are according to once fired brass from Sage's. So even your SD rounds come out cheaper than you can buy factory FMJ.

"Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    Premium Member
    By my calculations, I'm loading the Xtreme for around $0.18/ea thats with one use of the brass, so even cheaper if you load it 3-5 times. the XTP & Gold Dots are roughly $0.30/ea if you count using the brass only once. These are according to once fired brass from Sage's. So even your SD rounds come out cheaper than you can buy factory FMJ.
    Nice.

Title
    Premium Member
    Are you using CCI small pistol primers #500 for 357 Sig?

Title
    Premium Member
    Yes that's all I use in my .40 S&W and .357 SIG loads. I got lucky and caught a going out of business sale last year and picked up the 5k cases for $90 each. So I bought all they had in the primers I use :-)

Title
    Premium Member
    Yes that's all I use in my .40 S&W and .357 SIG loads. I got lucky and caught a going out of business sale last year and picked up the 5k cases for $90 each. So I bought all they had in the primers I use :-)
    Nice. I have some on hand. Thanks

Title
    Premium Member
    Anytime. Never had one not go bang.

Title
    Premium Member
    IMG_20190112_120036001~01.jpg

Left to right: 124gn XTP, 124gn Xtreme FP, 125gn Speer Gold Dot.