Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCoyote View Post
    http://www.theshootersbox.com/357-Si...n_p_24919.html

Grab you one of these. I prefer these case gauges for the SIG. It has a 3 step indicator which will give you the minimum sammi spec at the first step and maximum sammi length at the middle step for the brass/loaded round. The third step is the maximum headspace for checking headspace on fired brass to see if your chamber is over spec according to the fired brass. These will let you know if your shoulder or trim length are not correct. Save tons of headaches when getting everything together before loading up and shooting.
    Nice thanks. Forgot about that lol. I use case gages for all calibers.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Case gauges are essential in reloading if you wanna avoid problems with chambering the rounds properly, especially with such a high pressure pistol cartridge like the SIG. Make sure you get the crimp right to avoid setback. I made a few dummy rounds first and chambered them a few times and measured the set back til I got it where it needed to be.

"Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    Premium Member
    Case gauges are essential in reloading if you wanna avoid problems with chambering the rounds properly, especially with such a high pressure pistol cartridge like the SIG. Make sure you get the crimp right to avoid setback. I made a few dummy rounds first and chambered them a few times and measured the set back til I got it where it needed to be.
    Question on using the 40 S&W sizing die? If I use it and then use the 357 sizing die to set the shoulder I won't need to lube right?

Title
    Premium Member
    Yes that is correct. Size the body with the 40 carbide, then set the shoulder with the SIG die. It keeps you from having to lube then clean the brass after sizing.

"Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    Premium Member
    Yes that is correct. Size the body with the 40 carbide, then set the shoulder with the SIG die. It keeps you from having to lube then clean the brass after sizing.
    Perfect. Thanks again

Title
    Premium Member
    Any time. Good luck, and enjoy! The SIG is fun to shoot. Keep in mind, you may want to go with a slightly heavier recoil spring if you use full power loads. The XDm comes with an 18# spring from the factory which works well with factory loads and light plinking loads. But with full power .40 and .357 SIG loads, I ended up going up to a 20# and it smoothed it out a good bit. I have a 22# I will be trying soon to see if it makes it smoother or if it is too much.

Title
    Premium Member
    Any time. Good luck, and enjoy! The SIG is fun to shoot. Keep in mind, you may want to go with a slightly heavier recoil spring if you use full power loads. The XDm comes with an 18# spring from the factory which works well with factory loads and light plinking loads. But with full power .40 and .357 SIG loads, I ended up going up to a 20# and it smoothed it out a good bit. I have a 22# I will be trying soon to see if it makes it smoother or if it is too much.
    I'm wondering how it will be for the Glock 32? This is what I'll be shooting.

Title
    Premium Member
    Recoil springs are cheap, usually around $7-$8 a piece. If it is a Glock, most dealers carry springs for them, at least in my area. I'm not familiar with the Glock, but it should do just fine. If it was a .40 and the factory spring is still in great shape, you should be good to go. My factory spring was fine, but the heavier one smoothed out the snappiness of the full power loads that are running 1,480 fps - 1,500 fps.

Title
    Premium Member
    Recoil springs are cheap, usually around $7-$8 a piece. If it is a Glock, most dealers carry springs for them, at least in my area. I'm not familiar with the Glock, but it should do just fine. If it was a .40 and the factory spring is still in great shape, you should be good to go. My factory spring was fine, but the heavier one smoothed out the snappiness of the full power loads that are running 1,480 fps - 1,500 fps.
    Nice. You got them moving at 1400 plus. Awesome. I have a chrono as well.

Title
    Premium Member
    The XTP & Gold Dots I push hard because I've been using them when checking hog traps to dispatch wild hogs as well as when I'm hunting if they come by close enough to pop them. So far they have done pretty good. I use Longshot to push them that fast. Power Pistol is slightly slower, but is more accurate... only about 30 fps slower on average. With the Xtreme, I have pushed them over 1,400 fps, but the accuracy was not good at all. They seem to like the 1,250 fps - 1,320 fps range.. Much past that and accuracy goes south. I use AA#9 on the Xtreme because it helps keep setback to a minimal and is pretty accurate. Keep in mind this is all from my particular set up, XDm .40 S&W 4.5" with a Storm Lake .357 SIG 4.6" conversion barrel.