Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Need die set recommendations for precision shooting - 6.5CM, .223 and 6.5G

I'm a new reloader starting to acquire my rifle reloading equipment. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker press and a Chargemaster Lite measure. I want to reload 6.5 Creedmoor, .223 and later 6.5 Grendel. My goal is quality ammo, not quantity. Presently shooting a Bergara LRP bolt-action in 6.5CM and an accurate AR-15 with a 18" LaRue barrel.

What die sets can I buy now for the Rock Chucker and progressively learn their features as my experience grows? How are the RCBS Gold Medal and Competition dies? I have access to good prices on them.

What question(s) should I be asking? Thanks.

Carlos

Similar Threads:

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by calbuerne View Post
    I'm a new reloader starting to acquire my rifle reloading equipment. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker press and a Chargemaster Lite measure. I want to reload 6.5 Creedmoor, .223 and later 6.5 Grendel. My goal is quality ammo, not quantity. Presently shooting a Bergara LRP bolt-action in 6.5CM and an accurate AR-15 with a 18" LaRue barrel.

What die sets can I buy now for the Rock Chucker and progressively learn their features as my experience grows? How are the RCBS Gold Medal and Competition dies? I have access to good prices on them.

What question(s) should I be asking? Thanks.

Carlos
    I've heard good things about Redding dies.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I love my Redding dies, I mostly load for precision as well.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    I love my Redding dies, I mostly load for precision as well.
    Redding keeps coming up in the threads I've seen. Looking at the Redding website (and at website design circa 2000) now. I see Type S and Competition dies as well as their "standard" dies. Which type should I look at? Neck or full-length?

Besides the Bergara bolt-action rifle in 6.5CM, I also have AR-10 in 6.5CM that I occasionally shoot--acceptable accuracy but heavy.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by calbuerne View Post
    Redding keeps coming up in the threads I've seen. Looking at the Redding website (and at website design circa 2000) now. I see Type S and Competition dies as well as their "standard" dies. Which type should I look at? Neck or full-length?

Besides the Bergara bolt-action rifle in 6.5CM, I also have AR-10 in 6.5CM that I occasionally shoot--acceptable accuracy but heavy.
    I have and use all of the above in different calibers and guns here. In my opinion the "S" dies that require a bushing appropriately sized for your application are probably more than you want to get into initially. I use them on a few of my target only and benchrest guns, and I personally use them only on ammo that I turn the necks on. As far as the competition dies, they are nice with the mic on the seating die and probably better tolerances. My experience is that the regular die sets from Redding, used correctly, will make very precise ammo and are all you need for most applications. As far as neck vs full length, I usually have both. I use neck sizing whenever I can until the shoulder of the case needs pushed back a little, then use the full length for that. With some guns/loads it is every 2-3 firings, on some it is more than that. Remember, brass sized with a neck size die must normally be shot in the same gun, as the rest of the case is fire formed exactly to the chamber it was originally fired in and it may not chamber in another gun. Hope this is helpful.

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks for the info and guidance. My natural inclination is to complicate matters (not necessarily a bad thing) that's why I was asking about the more "serious" Redding dies.

I'll certainly need to sort out and trim the brass fired from my AR-10 rifle. I guess full size dies for those. Despite working out the pressure issues, that rifle hammers the brass compared to the Bergara.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    For the bolt 6.5 Creedmoor, I use a Forster Bushing Bump Neck Sizing die, Forster Ultra Micrometer Seating die, and a Redding body die for when the body of the brass needs to be sized back down. I use the same exact setup in my bolt .223 just the appropriate caliber of course.

"Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    For .223, I've been using the Forster FL and micrometer seating dies. Love that seating die.

Title
    Premium Member
    These guys are definitely steering you in the right direction. I have nothing “new” to add to what they have told you, just what I use. For my precision rifles I use either the Redding or forester micrometer seating dies, I use Redding bushing neck dies for casings that have turned necks, and either Redding or forester neck dies for ones that don’t have turned necks. I use Redding full length or body only die for when the shoulders need to be set (bumped) back. Some people bump the shoulder every time. For precision, you will want to only use brass for one rifle, so keep your brass separate per rifle. For your AR you will more than likely need to full length size every time, you will just need to experiment to see.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks again for the advice. It's timely as I was just about to order dies and other assorted parts.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk