Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: 8mm Mauser

Title
    Premium Member

8mm Mauser

I've got a couple old 8mm turk mausers (1893 and 1903 century imports from the early to mid 2000s) that I've never shot. I'd like to start shooting them, and would like to start loading for them. Being that they're so old, I've held off on putting modern ammunition through them, and what little mil-surplus I have for these, I've held off on shooting due to not always being easily able to replace it. I realize 8mm surplus comes and goes, but I'm at the point where I'd rather just reload for it for all the added benefits reloading brings.

Wes put up some 8mm brass for sale, so naturally I had to buy some. So now it's time to start loading for them. Who else loads 8mm for these old turks? What are you finding success with? Are there any powders that are ideal, vs any powders to stay away from due to pressure? I'd like to shoot these safely, so lighter loads will be the goal. They'll likely never be used for anything other than paper-punching, but I might take them out for pig hunting every so often, just for fun.

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    I can’t speak for the Turks, but I have a Yugo M24/47, I’m going to start loading for before long, I’m looking forward to developing a load for that rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Hornady 170 gr RN is the most accurate bullet in most of my 8mm even those with worn bores. 4198 is a good powder for light loads.

Title
    Premium Member
    That’s good to know, I picked up some 150gr Speer Hot Cor’s on a whim, when they run out, I’ll pick up some of the Hornady’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve got a sporterized Turkish 98 that I hunt with. Accuracy wise I’ve had good success with Sierra 170gr spitzer with IMR4064, and 185gr Remington core-lokt with BLC-2. Both of these loads are on the heavier end, not light plinking loads. The 170gr Sierra has performed great on deer and hogs, but the 185gr Remington has had poor performance, and I will not hunt with it again, only target. I tried 150gr hornady spire points out of it at one time, but they didn’t shoot as well for me as the others. I’m sure if I put a little more effort into the load development I could find a load that shot moa or better.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    For light plinking I have been using the cheap 150gr projectiles and IMR 4895 with great results. I also form my own brass from 7cent 30-06 cases. I keep these in a locked case that is labeled "8mm Mauser with 30-06 head stamps". I am weird about marking them - when I have any split or worn out brass I also smack it with a hammer before it goes in the scrap bin.... I never want anyone to use my rejects...

Last edited by Blair; 01-01-2019 at 03:53 PM.