Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Reloading for Carcano 6.5 - reloading tips or eperience nuggets?

I picked up a few Carcano rifles recently. I reload for a lot of milsurps and calibers and have managed to usually find decent to very good "battlefield" accuracy even in very worn specimens. I am having a very hard time tuning in on the right combo for the Carcano. In a lot of milsurps I can usually find a fun accurate load with IMR4895. In almost everything - 7.5 swiss, 303 brit, 54r, 30-06 etc. I have tried .264 and .268 projectiles and I am now trying different weights and tails. I realize the Carcano is not noted for supreme accuracy - so maybe I need to look at my expectations. I do not think 8" at 50 yards plinking off the bench is acceptable?
    Any tips, or powder and bullet combos or advice is appreciated!
    Thanks for your input!

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    I am trying to find a 6.5 carcano myself. Very interesting in what others have found to work. I too load many mil surp calibers. Have you tried 4198 or trail boss? Usually I can get a flat base bullet with a fast powder to fill whatever bore with a jacketed bullet to shoot at least 2” at 50 yds.

Title
    Premium Member
    I did finally find a good IMR4895 load and bullet combo with one of the rifles. I believe part of my problem with one of the rifles is actually the gun. The bore looks okay - but, the crown looks a little rough. I am going to recrown and try again. This one 91 keyholes every round. I tuned my loads to make it keyhole a 4" group at 50 yards! This rifle may wind up being a parts gun. If the recrown does not work and the bore looks good, maybe it is the throat... I am not going to chase this rabbit too far down the hole... It is worth more than $40 in parts. Red_barron - I need to play with 4198 and I need to look at trail boss. I have a number of projects I have marked for trail boss - for reduced loads. I have been one of these guys that uses IMR 4895 for most milsurps. After all, the US sold it to everyone during Lend Lease and I like to believe it is similar to period loads and components. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by Blair; 01-01-2019 at 03:57 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Blair, we punch paper at 50m in an offhand match monthly at our club. All open sights center fire rifles designed before 1950. Mostly mil surps. We do not need full power loads. Many use cast lead loads. I use some of them but mostly use jacketed bullets with 4759, 4198, reduced 4895, or red dot. Love 4759 but not available any more. 4198 and trail boss will take its place once I run out.

Title
    Premium Member
    Red Barron - Some full and mostly reduced 4895 is all I have really played with. Most all of my shooting is exactly like what you are speaking of (less than 75m offhand)... Of 4198 and Trail Boss which do you reach for first in a wide range of mil. calibers? You may help me decide in that coin toss. I was going to start exploring Trail Boss - but, 4198 has also caught my eye in the past and is also an area I want to explore. I wish I had a Club like the one you are in - it sounds right down my alley. I have not ventured into casting - yet. I have been considering it. I am already fascinated and extremely pleased with the coated and plated lead in my handguns. In the last year, I have noticed more and more coated rifle bullets are becoming available and have yet to try them in my rifles. Thanks for your comments!

Title
    Premium Member
    Blair, I have not used trail boss yet. Will try it once my 4759 runs out. I know a few that have in my club and they like it. I like 4198 after 4759. Use about 25 gr in an 8mm or 30-06 sized case. I have used 4198 in 7x57, 308, 30-06, 7.5x55, 7.62x54R, 8x57, 30-40, 7.65 Arg, 35 whelen, and 6.5x50. I have stuck with 4064 in my 6.5x55 rifles as I have not found a good 4198 load for them that seals the necks good enough.

Title
    Premium Member
    Red barron - Thanks! 4198 it is. I have been considering that powder for a while. I am curious. What powder grain range are you in 54r and 7.5x55 with 150gr jacketed? I would imagine 30-40 Krag would be similar to 6.5x52 Carcano with a 139 gr jacketed - roughly what range. have you found for the Krag? My books are downstairs in the reloading room... I will definitely read up on it! Thanks again!

Title
    Premium Member
    Blair, usually start about 22 gr and work my way up until I get cases to seal and acceptable accuracy. Usually end up about 24 to 26 gr. No need to go much higher.

Title
    Premium Member
    Red Baron - Thank you so much!

Title
    Premium Member
    Red Barron - 22.1 gr gave me great accuracy a little under 1" at 50 yards in the Carcano. This was even achieved with .268 FMJBT, 139gr projectiles! What a fun reduced load!
    I loaded 24 to 26.5 for some reduced 150gr FMJ 30-06 loads to use in my 1903...
    Thanks again!

Last edited by Blair; 01-07-2019 at 03:50 PM.