Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Title
    Premium Member
    The last deer I shot with a 165gr Sierra Gameking in a .30-06. I’ve decided to switch to all copper for hunting though so the next deer will be with a TSX, TTSx, or a GMX; whatever I can get to shoot the best out of my rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    The last deer I shot with a 165gr Sierra Gameking in a .30-06. I’ve decided to switch to all copper for hunting though so the next deer will be with a TSX, TTSx, or a GMX; whatever I can get to shoot the best out of my rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Several of my friends are making the switch to all copper also. I sure like barnes bullets in several of my rifles, but I still like traditional cup and core bullets for most.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Here in NW Fla. our deer are small. A good buck during the rut might go 110-120lbs. The mature does are about 85-100lbs. These weights are "on the hoof" weights also.
    We are allowed to shoot quite a few does on private property (any non state owned land),and we have a high ratio of does to bucks. The antlers on the bucks are also somewhat small so I usually end up killing does unless I see wall hanger.
    My shots are <200yds with the typical on my food plot is a max of 130. For my purposes I usually use a 24" AR/223Rem,a 16" RARR chambered in 300BLK, or a AR/6.8SPCII.
    My bullet choices are for accuracy more than anything else.
    .224" - - - 62gr Barnes TSX
    .308" - - - 110gr Barnes TAC-TX
    .277" - - - 85gr Barnes TSX
    The above bullets and chamberings do double duty for hogs and coyotes at night using a thermal sight. I have killed the larger hogs with all three. Most are complete pass thru's. The 110gr Barnes TAC-TX usually do not exit if I put it square on the shoulder of the bigger 225lbs+ hogs. However,it does massive internal damage.The other two usually will leave a nice blood trail for 30-60yds or so and a exit wound the size of a nickle to a quarter.
    Really no need for the 308's,30-06's,270's,7mags,etc,etc. unless you feel it is needed if you have the potential for those 300-600yd shots down a power line. --- SAWMAN

Last edited by SAWMAN; 01-28-2019 at 10:54 AM.
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Here in western Michigan there isn't much call from long shots. For me 100 yrds is max. Most forest I hunt are density rich under brush or pine trees. I use for deer hunting either a 243 with 90 gr nosler accubond, 308 with 150gr Sierra game king or hornady spire point. Wife uses a 243 with 95 gr. Nosler ballistic tips. I also have a 7mm rem mag with 160 gr nosler partition for longer shots and bear, elk if ever given the opportunity to hunt them. I have been toying with the idea of using my 223 for deer so I developed a load with 60gr nosler partition bullets. For smaller game such as coyote I use a 55 gr. Hornady spire point. For my 22 hornet i have loaded up some barnes varmantor 40gr hollow points for woodchucks and other smaller varmints. Last but lest is the 22-250. 60gr nosler partition and 70 gr. Hornady spire points for deer and coyote and a 55 gr. Hornady spire point for other varmits.

Title
    Premium Member
    280 Rem. 139gr SST over 55.6gr Superformance. Shoots great.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk