Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

6mm Creedmoor loading

Today I picked up loading dies, brass and bullets for the 6 Creedmoor. I am very enthusiastic about this!

The 6 Creedmoor is a cartridge designed for target competition, but produces velocity comparable to the 243 Win, 6mm Rem, and not too far off from the 25-06, so it has some potential as a hunting cartridge as well.

All I've fired through my Ruger Precision Rifle is the Hornady 108 grain ELD-M (match) ammo. I'm still getting used to the new rifle, but the 6 Creedmoor showed a promise of great accuracy. I tracked down three sources for good load data, plenty to start:
    1. Hornady has a PDF file avail online with many loads documented for bullets from 58 - 108 grains.
    2. Hodgdon's 2018 annual manual has a good article by Layne Simpson with a LOT of different loads featured.
    3. Handloader magazine has a good article by John Barsness with some very nice 6 Creedmoor data.

Today I picked up:
    1 set of Hornady dies - I've had good results with them in the past
    50 Hornady brass cases
    100 Hornady 108 grain ELD-M match bullets

I already have a good amount of H4350 powder on hand, as well as large rifle match primers from both Federal and CCI.

6mm Remington bottom, 6 Creedmoor center, 25-06 top:

I've prepped ten cases, and have made one dummy cartridge at the same overall length as the Hornady factory match ammo. The rifle has a short-action sized magazine.

I should have some results to post over the next few days and weeks.

Guy

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Following this thread closely sir.
    I really appreciate any and all info that you take the time to post.
    Thanks much. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Following this thread closely sir.
    I really appreciate any and all info that you take the time to post.
    Thanks much. --- SAWMAN
    Thank you very much. I'm excited about this one, probably 'cause I'm hoping this rifle is my re-entry to the world of competition shooting. I used to enjoy match shooting very much, but a busy career and some physical injuries eventually made it nearly impossible to compete in NRA style matches.

I've worked with a couple of old-time oddball cartridges in recent years; the 11.7 Danish and the 22 Savage Hi-Power, but... This is the first new "modern" type cartridge that I've started using in a long time. Mostly I've just stuck to the same cartridges I've been using for many years. Very excited to see what sort of accuracy I can wring out of this rifle & cartridge.

Regards, Guy

Title
    Premium Member

Short trip to the range this afternoon to test the handloads:

Hornady brass, new
    Hornady 108 gr ELD-Match bullets
    H4350, 40.5 grains
    Federal 210 match primers

Didn't chronograph the loads, but the point of impact was roughly the same as the 108 gr Hornady factory ammo at 450 yards. All I did today was shoot at a steel gong, 450 yards away, from the bench/bipod. Worked great! I did miss the gong three times. Entirely my fault.

When I stuck rigorously to the fundamentals of marksmanship, the bullets were impacting in a rather nice, tight, cluster on the steel.

I think that for now, I'll stick with this load, maybe tune it a bit. Can't play much with the overall length, 'cause they've got to fit into, and feed from, the detachable magazine.

Very satisfying! Am up to 27 rounds through the rifle at this point. Getting to know the scope/rifle/ammo combo pretty well so far.

I need to think about a coyote/antelope/deer load for this thing... Not sure how the "match" bullet performs on game, so I think I'll investigate the 103 grain Hornady ELD-X hunting bullet as well. But reality is that this rifle is mainly a marksmanship training/range toy.

Funny, I already have a used "APA Little Bastard" muzzle brake for it. It's supposed to be considerably better than the muzzle brake Ruger equips the rifle with. I'll make the swap sometime soon. Not strangely at all, there really isn't much recoil to deal with, the 6 Creedmoor in such a heavy rifle.

Regards, Guy