Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: 7600 .270 pump

Title
    Premium Member

7600 .270 pump

I’ve had my Remington 7600 .270 pump since 09. Bought new. Well, it’s been sitting in the safe not seeing any action in the woods for the 3rd straight season. I’m always grabbing my AR’s, whether the .308, or most commonly used, .300BLK. They’re lighter, shorter, easier to carry, lug and maneuver, easier to clean, and ain’t got to worry about rust with aluminum receivers and stainless barrels. Well, I want to brush gun/bad weather fun project this rifle. Hand it off to the boys some day. Here’s my plans....take the factory 22” barrel and chop it down to a legal 16”. The barrel stays a constant profile of .67” from muzzle to well beyond the 16” length. Barrel would be threaded with 1/2x28 pitch and topped off with SiCo’s 9MM single port 1/2”x28” ASR muzzle brake to start. Front sight would need to be moved rearward and re taped. I will be removing the rear factory sight and replacing it with a Wilson Combat ghost ring. Receiver scope base, rings and scope stays. Want to do something with the furniture but not sure yet. I’m looking to get a compact, silenced, .270 pump. Quietness of a closed bolt with the advantage of quicker follow up shots. Whole rifle will be cerakoted once 100% completed. I’m planning on running supers to start, but, will be looking at loading some subsonics. I load the Makers 220gr for the BLK, as these are a designed subsonic bullet that expands at subsonic velocities. Both whitetail shot at with them have been recovered. Not sure if they make a .277 subsonic or not. I’m looking for some input and thoughts on this? I’d like an aftermarket barrel with a little more material so I could thread a 5/8x24 but have had no luck.

[COLOR="#FF0000"][I]Reloading safely may get old, but so do those who practice it......:cool:[/I][/COLOR][SIZE=4][/SIZE]

Title
    Premium Member
    Several thoughts - - ->
    * In 16 inches of bbl the blast and overpressure of supers will be considerable. Consider a linear brake.
    * Even with a can,supers will be loud.
    * The "clack,clack" of the action will be loud. Much quieter in a "tuned" bolt or single shot gun.
    * Consider some of the bullets made for the 6.8SPC (<121grs) at lower than 270Win vels.
    * Consider shortening the LOP down to <13 inches unless your knuckles drag the ground when you walk. Makes for a more compact package and faster to shoulder.
    Should be a fun project. Love doing stuff like this. Different,is a good thing. --- SAWMAN

Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2