Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
    Ive tried about every bullet and setup in the 300 blk realm.
    I know Berry’s isn’t a house brand around here but Ive pretty much settled on the 220 plated for subsonic suppressed work. My 2nd place is the 245gn hi-tek coated Missouri bullets but I was worried about leading up a $1k can. Actually had the best terminal performance and accuracy with them.
    Everyone keeps trying to sell me 220 noslers or hornady jacketed bullets, but it’s not worth the cost if you’re shooting a lot IMO and there is absolutely zero deformation on impact.
    The 180 plated wes sells dont cycle with the can removed on my rig and that makes me uneasy, plus it’s not near the energy of the heavier bullet. I kill everything from moles to hogs with it so it’s gotta function the gun.
    Supposedly the Lehigh’s are “the best” but holy crap they were like $1/bullet back when I priced them. Not for me either.
    Definitely some room for improvement in the market in this area. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not uncommon to not cycle without the suppressor, especially with a rifle length gas setup. There just isn't enough pressure to push the bolt back. The other possibilities it wont cycle without the can might be wrong size gas hole in your barrel or gas block. You could also have an alignment problem between the two. The suppressor back pressure is forcing more gas back to cycle the action. Some have tried to drill out the gas holes, but then you over pressure with super sonic rounds and beat the crap out of the gun while cycling.

If if it works properly with the suppressor then I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s working as expected.

It is rather difficult shooting heavy 308 bullets a lot and keeping the cost down.
    It’s one of the reasons I built a 9mm AR. Much cheaper, but not great for hog hunting.

Title
    Premium Member

300 blackout suppressed

From what I’ve read from different forums you can get 150 grain fmj to cycle subsonically with bolt hold open using 11 grains of 1680. There’s a dude on YouTube that has gotten 110 grain ammo to cycle fine subsonically in his ar. He uses standard carbine buffer and spring. Rolling blackouts is his name I believe.

Last edited by marcmajoraz; 08-31-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    I tried 1680 with 240gr cast and couldn’t get over 950fps before I started seeing pressure signs. I use IMR4227 and keep them right around 1000fps with a 10.5” barrel. And they stabilize fine in my 1:8 twist.

Title
    Premium Member
    Lehigh is the best. And, if you are loading for self defense that would be the route to take. But, if you are just out to have fun I cannot afford Lehigh for that.

Title
    Premium Member
    If you have a suppressor why not load the 150's? Versatile. You can hunt and plink with them. I get very good accuracy out of them 150 gr fmjbt Wes sells. I shoot those a lot.

Title
    Premium Member
    Shooting Subs in 300blk isnt cheap. So I decided if i wanted more "bang" for my buck suppressed in a "rifle" was to buy a 9mm pistol with a sig brace. Crazy quiet and very cheap to shoot subs.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasinTail View Post
    Shooting Subs in 300blk isnt cheap. So I decided if i wanted more "bang" for my buck suppressed in a "rifle" was to buy a 9mm pistol with a sig brace. Crazy quiet and very cheap to shoot subs.
    I did the same thing. I love my 9mm AR. I can ring a 6” gong at 75 yards all day long suppressed. It’s one of my favorite guns to shoot.

Title
    Premium Member
    Absolutely!! That’s what I use for my suppressed plinking loads. Nothing will get you cheaper FMJ’s than mil-surp 150-147’s FMJBT. Get yourself a 1-7 twist, pistol length gas system and GTG!! One thing with these though is you need to load them DEEP!! Start around 11.5-11gr 1680 and/or CFEBLK. (This is from a 10.5” 1-7 barrel). I’m currently running Hornady 150gr FMJBT with 10.6gr 1680 @ 2.04” and 11.8gr CFEBLK @ 2.04”. Both kids are subsonic, cycle reliably with no issues, and bolt hold open last round(assuming you’re wanting an AR).

Title
    Premium Member
    Huh?

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Constructiongunner View Post
    So I'm looking into building a dedicated suppressed upper in 300 blackout. Pistol length. I've narrowed down the world of suppressors to just a few that I'm looking at. Is there a "cheapish" 300 blackout plinker load that works with suppresors? I know heavier bullets but can I use a 150gr fmj in 308?
    Absolutely!! That’s what I use for my suppressed plinking loads. Nothing will get you cheaper FMJ’s than mil-surp 150-147’s FMJBT. Get yourself a 1-7 twist, pistol length gas system and GTG!! One thing with these though is you need to load them DEEP!! Start around 11.5-11gr 1680 and/or CFEBLK. (This is from a 10.5” 1-7 barrel). I’m currently running Hornady 150gr FMJBT with 10.6gr 1680 @ 2.04” and 11.8gr CFEBLK @ 2.04”. Both kids are subsonic, cycle reliably with no issues, and bolt hold open last round(assuming you’re wanting an AR).