Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Scope help please!

I have a Savage 112 target on the way and need some glass for it. I will preface this by saying I don’t have a ton of spare cash at the moment and know that I won’t be able to get the best at this time. I have looked quite a bit and I have narrowed my choice down to either the Athlon Helos BTR 8-34x56 or the Bushnell Forge 4.5-27x50. I’m leaning towards the bushnell pretty hard. The magnification range I think will better suit me and it comes with the sunshade and flip caps. The Athlon has a few more reviews and as always there are the optic snobs that would rather not eat than shoot a “cheap” scope. I will likely upgrade in the future but need something to work a little while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Best advice I can give you is just go to the nearest gun shop that has scopes and get your hands on either the ones you want (if available) or just shop around. I’ve heard good things about Athlon but no personal experience. I will say, however, I am liking my Nikon and the few I have looked through are pretty nice. What’s your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
    I have a Savage 112 target on the way and need some glass for it. I will preface this by saying I don’t have a ton of spare cash at the moment and know that I won’t be able to get the best at this time. I have looked quite a bit and I have narrowed my choice down to either the Athlon Helos BTR 8-34x56 or the Bushnell Forge 4.5-27x50. I’m leaning towards the bushnell pretty hard. The magnification range I think will better suit me and it comes with the sunshade and flip caps. The Athlon has a few more reviews and as always there are the optic snobs that would rather not eat than shoot a “cheap” scope. I will likely upgrade in the future but need something to work a little while.

An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    If you can live with a fixed zoom scope and won't be shooting passed 1000 yds regularly then look at the SWFA Super Snipers. They are known for having decent glass and very reliable turrets. I think they are still on sale today for like $275ish. Come with mounts and caps I believe. I have a 6x and 10x but they make some higher powered ones.

I would skip their variable power since there are better options for variable power in those price ranges.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Unfortunately I live around 3 hours from any store with a decent selection of scopes. My budget is around $600. I get a bushnell discount which is why it’s in the running. They just released the Forge line this summer so reviews are few and far between.

Title
    Premium Member
    I’m guessing target shooting?

There are some Vortex Viper HS scopes floating around on sale. Amazon.com has/had the ‘higher tier’ Razor HD LH within your budget.

There are also some Leupold VX-3i scopes within your budget. I like the older VX-3 that I own for target shooting, but I’m not a fan of how its reticle changes colors in some field lighting conditions.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
    Unfortunately I live around 3 hours from any store with a decent selection of scopes. My budget is around $600. I get a bushnell discount which is why it’s in the running. They just released the Forge line this summer so reviews are few and far between.

I buy my SWFA's right from their website.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ll second Nikon ... great glass ... inexpensive too for the lower end models

Title
    Premium Member
    I have zero experience with either of those scopes. But just from what I’ve read from you, I would go with the bushnell. You get a discount on them, and bushnell has been putting out some really good scopes lately. I know I’ve seen where some of their high end tactical scopes have made a showing in the top fifty of different tactical/sniper competitions.

JTD