Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Upland Bird Hunting

Much as I love to hunt mule deer, elk, antelope, black bear... I equally enjoy getting out with the dog and shotgun for some upland bird hunting. Mostly I go for chukar and pheasant. Usually I use either a 12 ga Beretta 390 semi-auto, or an old Browning Citori. My son usually uses his 20 gauge side by side "Ithaca" by SKB.

We wouldn't be nearly as successful without our dog, Clark. He's a 10 year old German Wirehaired Pointer.

Anyone else here like to get out for upland birds?

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    My son John, our ten year old German Wirehaired Pointer Clark, and I enjoyed a nice, relaxed hunt at the Cooke Canyon Hunt Club, near Ellensburg Washington this morning. Clark enjoyed the easy hunt as much as we did. He found the six birds, dutifully pointed each one, then retrieved each one. I bought hens this time. It's not a demanding hunt, just a fun one.

Clark pointing a hen between two bushes:

My son and Clark heading out after another bird:

John with a bird, and his nearly 50 year old 20 gauge Ithaca (SKB) double. That gun was a present to me from Dad back in 1969. It still looks good and works great!

Some old "guy" and his Browning 12 gauge, with a bird he might have hit. Unless the young fellow with the 20 gauge shot it first! I'll never tell...

Guy

Title
    Premium Member
    I like to go for upland birds, probably my favorite hunting honestly. I have a 6 yr old Brittany and my older brother has a red setter we used to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Went out with "the boys" in mid-November and did well in the few hours we were out...

2018 pheasant hunt.jpg

Title
    Premium Member
    Very cool. Yes, your group did very well!

Congrats!