Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Title
    Premium Member
    In my opinion, the more important thing to look for is the crimp die. For anything with a crimp groove, like a lead SWC may have, or for the DEWC, the roll crimp (Redding calls it a Profile Crimp die) is what works best. For anything without that groove, then a basic taper crimp works well.

If you're loading bunny fart, plinking loads, then it really doesn't matter much...

Nothing wrong with Lee dies for this caliber! All the manufacturers make dies for this round, big difference is what seating stems are included, what type of crimp's used, and as mentioned, you really want a carbide sizing die!

disciplejourney.com

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkDisciplinare View Post
    In my opinion, the more important thing to look for is the crimp die. For anything with a crimp groove, like a lead SWC may have, or for the DEWC, the roll crimp (Redding calls it a Profile Crimp die) is what works best. For anything without that groove, then a basic taper crimp works well.

If you're loading bunny fart, plinking loads, then it really doesn't matter much...

Nothing wrong with Lee dies for this caliber! All the manufacturers make dies for this round, big difference is what seating stems are included, what type of crimp's used, and as mentioned, you really want a carbide sizing die!
    Wes swears by the Lee factory crimp dies, I haven't needed them yet but....

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by coachk12 View Post
    Wes swears by the Lee factory crimp dies, I haven't needed them yet but....

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    That's all I use. And I'll tell you from experience. You'll need a pretty good crimp on light loads to prevent flash over.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I use Lee dies in my turret press for my plinking loads, which are cast, 158 gr Lee SWC TL, and the stem works just fine with no damage at all. I have the RCBS B series dies that I use in my single stage for full magnum loads using Lee 158 gr SWC, and Hornady XTP's. With that stem, I ground it down flat because it was leaving a ring on my tips. It works well with both style of bullets like that.

Also, I don't crimp and seat in one step, I use the Lee FCD for everything.

Hope this helps

Title
    Premium Member
    I prefer the Lee over RCBS, just because (to me) the Lee is a lot easier to set up. I ended up giving the RCBS set away. Definitely get carbide, and definitely get one for 38’s and one for 357’s.

Title
    Premium Member
    Go with the lee 4 die set and you wont have any trouble i use the 38/357 dies for both, if you had both sets of dies it would save a little time in adjusting dies but im never in that big a hurry. I use 4 die set for all my pistols reloading.

Title
    Premium Member
    They had some I believe on the cheap at Palmetto State Armory. I bought a ton of cheap RCBS shellholders, RCBS trim dies, RCBS neck sizing dies, .308 X-dies, etc.