Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17 hmr

Title
    Premium Member

17 hmr

whats the up and down to this round ? never had nor shot one . hunting round ? target round ??

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denton View Post
    whats the up and down to this round ? never had nor shot one . hunting round ? target round ??
    I've never hunted with mine,but it is a blast to shoot. Especially potatoes, they explode. Lol it's so fast.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Title
    small game, plinking, varmint, target, etc.....

not the best, IMHO, when wind is a factor.

I own 2 in lever and bolt, and I'd rather shoot my 22mag.... and I'd rather shoot my 22 hornet over any of them.

Title
    Premium Member
    Mine is very accurate on calm days. I’ve shot a mess of prairie dogs and cotton tails with it. But like Shane said, I’d rather shoot my 22 Hornet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I have one, but only because I got a VQ Custom setup at 50% off. The WSM ammo is usually cheaper and you are getting more performance so that would be the way I would go if you want rimfire imo. I too like small centerfire; but prefer the .218 Bee, 221 Fireball, and .222.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have one and have shot a lot, and I mean a lot of ground squirrels with it in Idaho and Montana, a savage BTVSS (thumbhole stock, accutrigger and stainless barrel). For ground squirrels it is a great gun. Yes, wind can be a bit of a problem for 17 grain but is fairly accurate for a rimfire as a norm is to put 4 out of 5 in 1" at 100yds (rimfire rounds are notorious for not being consistant). Last year was the first year I shot more ground squirrels with a .22lr because my Shilen barrel 10/22 was new and I wanted to get acquainted. Shot the .17hmr a couple days ago and forgot how much I like shooting it.

I've even shot a medium size badger with it, along with hares. Guys in New Zealand and Australia use it on foxes. Pretty good up to about 125 yds and I've shot them as far as 225yds for ground squirrels and if it was too far for a .22lr my son-in-laws would just figure I'll make the shot. My daughter wants one like mine as she went with us, clamped onto it and proceeded to shoot I think over 250 ground squirrels for the day. Average day of shooting them sometimes. She hit one area and it looked like a slaughter with ground squirrels everywhere just covering the ground in all states of torn up bodies, most shot around 80yds, the sweet spot is 60yds to 80yds where it is almost a gimme. Pictures below of her and the gun and the fun.

If you have ground squirrels, I would recommend it.

I've also let beginner shooters at the range take a couple shots after they struggle with other guns and because the recoil is light they still can hit 100yd centers most every time and you see the light bulb turn on that they can be accurate.

Last edited by 72Camaro; 01-02-2019 at 08:36 PM.
    “The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member
    My $200 Savage .17hmr is the perfect critter getter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I use a .22 caliber RWS34 pellet gun. Saves a bit more of the meat. lol

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 72Camaro View Post
    I use a .22 caliber RWS34 pellet gun. Saves a bit more of the meat. lol

Nice shooting 72Camaro!

Title
    Premium Member
    My Savage .17HMR is a tackdriver with no wind. At 100 yards, the crosshairs cover the 1" orange dot. I have a DNZ scope mount and a cheap BSA Sweet .17 scope for it.