Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.5-06ai

Title
    Premium Member

6.5-06ai

Well, just beginning this build....and I fully expect it to be slow going, but here’s what I’ve decided on

Factory Savage 110E is going to donate the action
    Add Lilja barrel at 28” finished length, savage varmit taper
    Hawkins tank brake
    Timney trigger
    Boyd’s featherweight thumbhole stock
    Optics will probably be a night force SHV

I will need dies sooner or later....planned use is long range coyotes

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Sounds well thought out. Have you decided on what bullets you are going to start with? You will definitely have to keep us updated with your load development and such, when the rifle is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Should be a tack driver. I'm currently waiting on my barrel for my 280ai-- I started with a savage action, criteron barrel, Boyd's stock, working on trigger, cdi bottom metal, and glass. I have a 260ai I've been very impressed with it, very accurate and fast. You will love the 6.5-06ai. Hard to beat the Redding dies.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Going to use the Berger 140gr VLD, or Hornady 140gr BTHP Match....wanting to poke holes strait thru, versus demolishing one side as we do sell the pelts

Hopefully will start ordering the parts soon (wife needs a list...lol) and since I just ordered a Leica CrF-2000-B I can’t start today...

I really struggled over barrel selection, Bartlien was high on the list, but the wait times are stoopid long( really wanted the 5R rifling)
    Beings Lilja is a Montana company, and has the reputation of being very good barrels I went with them....and they have a ton of options!
    Proof research was high on the list, but price became a huge factor at $900

I’m going to have Hornady custom make me some dies for my specific chamber, so as I’m sure you can guess they aren’t cheap....but I like their custom grade does for various other calibers

Hoping to have it together by spring....first custom build

Title
    Premium Member
    Savage builds have a great interest to me as I admin a savage page on FB! It’s cool to see all the builds that people can put together without need of a gunsmith. I have two I’m working on this winter, a .338-06 for myself and a .280AI for my brother. Trying to get a .223AI too but that I can wait for awhile. Anyways, I was talking about the 6.5-06AI with the owner of a gunshop here this week as he really had lots of experience with his! Sounds like a fun one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    .338-06 might well be my next build....got my parts list done, gonna start getting everything together, plan to have it to the gunsmith by March

Will definitely keep everyone here up to date on the progress

Title
    Premium Member
    Shit, build might be changing.....going on a safari summer of 2020...wife’s concerned building this now will throw off the budget

But, Timney trigger and Hawkins tank brake are already here, and the gift certificate for the stock

After talking to the gunsmith the other day I think I’ll go with an x-caliber barrel as it pre-threaded....to save on machining, will have him do larger flutes and team the chamber

Also decided to have it all creakoated tan

Title
    Premium Member
    Opened the Timney & Hawkins tank brake today, also got gift certs (from the wife) for the barrel and stock

Decided on the hunt we’re taking our -06’s....this gun *may* pull a small sum from the budget, but it’s still going to get done

Got access to a few new area’s for dogs....can definitely see the need for a distance gun!

Title
    I have a plain 6.5-06, and it shoots pretty good. I took it to a "long range clinic" last August, and figured out pretty quick that my 123 gr A Max was too light past 900 yards or so! Need to try some heavier bullets and see what it does, really like the way these 123's kill deer and coyotes though

Title
    Premium Member
    Ordered my barrel Thursday
    X-caliber, chrome-moly, chambered in 6.5-06 A square (will ream the chamber later),8 twist, 28" savage varmit taper, diamond fluting and cerekoted, 11* crown (will have threads cut for the brake)

Can't wait for it to get here, should be ordering a Boyd's ATone thumbhole stock in a few weeks

Also decided I'm steal the wife's nightforce scope for this, and giving here a 3-9 vortex...lol

Sierra has come out with a 150gr 6.5 that has me interested...gonna hafta see how those shoot!