Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Interesting in starting to cast and pc

I am wanting to get into casting my own projectiles. What equipment would you guys recommend? Are any of the casting kits necessary? Also considering powder coating as opposed to lubing. Anybody have recommendation on where to start for either project?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    Lee has affordable casting equipment. You'll need an old cast iron pot and a way to heat it up such as a propane outdoor stove, turkey fryer. Use this to melt, flux and mix your lead instead of your casting pot. A thermometer to help maintain proper temperatures. welders gloves, safety glasses and an old cotton long sleeve shirt- no synthetics! YouTube has many videos on casting to watch and learn from. Powder coating is also available on YouTube.

Title
    Premium Member
    Lyman has a small casting kit that comes with a book and most of what you need to cast for less than $100.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    There's a whole bunch of opinions on starting out, from starting small to "buy once, cry once."

I started off piece meal with a borrowed pot and some cheap Lee 2 cavity molds. I powder coat a ton of pistol bullets, but I still lube some the old fashioned way, especially my .38spl and .45acp target loads.

People have made lots of bullets on a camp stove with an old soup can and a re-purposed spoon and a mold. Or the sky's the limit on the top end.

I started off ladle pouring into 1 and 2 hole molds. Now I mostly use a bottom pour pot with digital temperature control into 4 or 6 cavity molds.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post
    There's a whole bunch of opinions on starting out, from starting small to "buy once, cry once."

I started off piece meal with a borrowed pot and some cheap Lee 2 cavity molds. I powder coat a ton of pistol bullets, but I still lube some the old fashioned way, especially my .38spl and .45acp target loads.

People have made lots of bullets on a camp stove with an old soup can and a re-purposed spoon and a mold. Or the sky's the limit on the top end.

I started off ladle pouring into 1 and 2 hole molds. Now I mostly use a bottom pour pot with digital temperature control into 4 or 6 cavity molds.
    Totally agree. The sky is the limit. I started and still have and use the Lyman 10lb pot. Bought the kit. I now use it to clean and Flux my lead. I find it more manageable with the smaller pot plus I won't be putting any contaminates in my Lyman mag25. Love that thing. But I do think it's good to learn how to dip cast before you use a bottom pour. That's just me.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk