Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Low smoke powder

I shot my first IDPA match tonight, which happened to be a low light match. I used Winchester white box 115gr 9mm. Daylight shooting, they are fine, but when shining a flashlight down range, there’s too much smoke and the light reflects back, obscuring the target. I lost considerable time due to this.
    My question is, what is a good 9mm powder that produce minimal smoke? I can’t have a repeat of tonight and expect to have competitive times.

Title
    Premium Member
    I think you’ll find most canister powders are going to produce face less smoke then your budget ammo. Here’s why.

You’re likely not seeing smoke persay but graphite. The high speed loading equipment use on budget ammo spits out loaded rounds at insane speeds. In order to allow the powder to flow and drop into the case at these high speeds , it is common for manufacturers to order powder with a little more graphite in the mix. This makes the rounds notoriously dirty.

CFE Pistol isn’t a bad one to try, personally I like Bulleye or Unique. Just because I’m a cheap skate and I can squeeze a few more rounds per pound of powder.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Andrew View Post
    I think you’ll find most canister powders are going to produce face less smoke then your budget ammo. Here’s why.

You’re likely not seeing smoke persay but graphite. The high speed loading equipment use on budget ammo spits out loaded rounds at insane speeds. In order to allow the powder to flow and drop into the case at these high speeds , it is common for manufacturers to order powder with a little more graphite in the mix. This makes the rounds notoriously dirty.

CFE Pistol isn’t a bad one to try, personally I like Bulleye or Unique. Just because I’m a cheap skate and I can squeeze a few more rounds per pound of powder.
    That makes sense. Thanks for the info. I’ve been itching to try CFE pistol, now I’ve a reason to “pull the trigger” on a bottle. CFE 223 runs great in my AR.

Title
    Premium Member
    If you use HS-6 toward the higher end of the powder recommendation, it's not only accurate but very low smoke as well.

Title
    Premium Member
    Bullseye isn't bad, but I found that N320 was the least smoky powder for me, using coated bullets. TG and Clays were both WAY too smoky.

Title
    Premium Member
    Ramshot Silhouette, HS-6 as was mentioned, will be better. The best, I think will be in the Vhitavhouri powders, as suggested something like N320 or 3N37 or whatever they are...

disciplejourney.com

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TennJeep1618 View Post
    Bullseye isn't bad, but I found that N320 was the least smoky powder for me, using coated bullets. TG and Clays were both WAY too smoky.
    Yep, N320 is all I use for 147 grain bullets in 9mm, and 180 grain bullets in 40. It's not smokey at all compared to other powders I've used. My buddies poke fun at me after matches because as we're picking up brass, any piece of brass that is clean, they constantly tell me it's mine lol. It's just such a clean burning powder. But it is expensive.